July 3, 1919

L LIB

Jacques Bureau

Laurier Liberal

Mr. BUREAU:

The Prime Minister will immediately see the position we are in. Supposing we carry this on division, we are opposing a thing we might be absolutely in accord with in principle if we had [DOT] time to read it. Supposing we agree to it, we might be agreeing to a thing that we may be opposed to in principle after we had time to read it. I cannot see that such a course will advance the business ' of the House, because when we come to the second reading we immediately go into committee, when we shall make any objections we have in regard to the two Bills.

I know my right hon. friend does not want us to believe that the resistance of his heart would be that of a heart of stone, because he is known for his great heart, and he is going to grant my request.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   BOARD OF COMMERCE ACT, 1919.
L LIB

Daniel Duncan McKenzie (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Laurier Liberal

Mr. McKENZIE:

I should like to interject that if the Prime Minister will agree to take these Bills up, say at eight o'clock, for second reading, I am satisfied that better progress will be made.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   BOARD OF COMMERCE ACT, 1919.
UNION

Robert Laird Borden (Prime Minister; Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Unionist

Sir ROBERT BORDEN:

Will that suit the hon. member for Three Rivers (Mr. Bureau)?

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   BOARD OF COMMERCE ACT, 1919.
L LIB

Jacques Bureau

Laurier Liberal

Mr. BUREAU:

Yes, provided that Estimates are taken up in the meanwhile.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   BOARD OF COMMERCE ACT, 1919.
UNION

Robert Laird Borden (Prime Minister; Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Unionist

Sir ROBERT BORDEN:

Will the hon. gentlemen move that the debate be adjourned to be resumed again this day?

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   BOARD OF COMMERCE ACT, 1919.
L LIB

Jacques Bureau

Laurier Liberal

Mr. BUREAU:

I move that the debate be adjourned to be resumed again at eight o'clock this day.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   BOARD OF COMMERCE ACT, 1919.
UNI L

William Stevens Fielding

Unionist (Liberal)

Mr. FIELDING:

I do not wish to be understood as concurring in the view of the hon. gentleman that if the matter be postponed now, the Bill will go through bygeneral consent. I do not consent to that at all. I think there are reasons why this Bill should not go through at all, and I want to reserve my right to say so.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   BOARD OF COMMERCE ACT, 1919.
L LIB

Jacques Bureau

Laurier Liberal

Mr. BUKEAU:

This is just the adjournment of the discussion that I am moving so that we may resume it at eight o'clock.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   BOARD OF COMMERCE ACT, 1919.
UNION

Robert Laird Borden (Prime Minister; Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Unionist

Sir ROBERT BORDEN:

I do not know that there is the slightest desire to commit any hon. member as to the course he may take on the Bill.

Motion agreed to and debate adjourned to be resumed this day.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   BOARD OF COMMERCE ACT, 1919.

PROHIBITION.

UNION

Edgar Nelson Rhodes (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Unionist

Mr. SPEAKER:

I have the honour

to inform the House that a message has been received from the Senate informing this House that the Senate doth insist upon their amendment made to the Bill 107, sent up from the House of Commons, intituled: "An Act to confirm the Order in Council of the twenty-fourth day of February, 1919, prohibiting the importation, manufacture and transportation of intoxicating liquors, and the Order in Council of the twelfth day of April, 1919, in amendment thereof," to which the House of Commons hath disagreed.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   PROHIBITION.
Sub-subtopic:   SENATE INSISTS ON AMENDMENT TO BIDE No. 107.
UNION

Robert Laird Borden (Prime Minister; Secretary of State for External Affairs)

Unionist

Sir ROBERT BORDEN:

With the consent of the House I move:

That the message from the Senate respecting the amendment to Bill No. 107, intituled "An Act to confirm the Drder in Council of the twenty-fourth day of February, 1919, prohibiting the importation, manufacture and transportation of intoxicating liquors, and the Order in Council of the twelfth day of April, 1919, in amendment thereof," be placed1 upon the Orders of the Day for consideration this day.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   PROHIBITION.
Sub-subtopic:   SENATE INSISTS ON AMENDMENT TO BIDE No. 107.

Motion agreed to.

SUPPLY.

The House in Committee oi Supply, Mr. Boivin in the Chair. Finance Department-Charges of Management, $571,850.

L LIB
UNION
L LIB
UNION

William Thomas White (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Unionist

Sir THOMAS WHITE:

Yes, renewed in war time at the same rate-a very advantageous contract for the Dominion Government.

Topic:   SUPPLY.