July 13, 1917

Edward Mortimer Macdonald

Mr. MACDONALD:

I might say to my hon. friend that my boy went in my place.

Topic:   MILITARY SERVICE ACT, 1917.
Subtopic:   CONSIDERATION OF THE BILL IN COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE HOUSE.
CON

George Henry Bradbury

Mr. BRADBURY:

I give his son all the honour that is coming to him, but I might say that.it would have been better if his son had gone a year sooner than he did, as he would have gone had he been allowed.

Topic:   MILITARY SERVICE ACT, 1917.
Subtopic:   CONSIDERATION OF THE BILL IN COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE HOUSE.

Edward Mortimer Macdonald

Mr. MACDONALD:

My hon. friend does not know what he is talking about, and his statement is untrue. My boy was ready to go at the very beginning of the war, but he declined to go in the 17th Battalion, commanded by a political colonel, who, being a major in the 78th, asked the colonel of the 78th Regiment to give up his place, and told him that he could not go as a colonel because he was a Grit, and that he would take him as his major if he would agree to the change.

Topic:   MILITARY SERVICE ACT, 1917.
Subtopic:   CONSIDERATION OF THE BILL IN COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE HOUSE.
CON

George Henry Bradbury

Mr. BRADBURY:

People who live in glass houses should never throw stones. My hon. friend threw a slur across the floor of this House about my services when I happened to interject a remark in the discussion. I only want to say to him that with his experience-he was in uniform long before I was, and is seven or eight years younger than I am -he would have been in a much better position to criticise others if he had raised the battalion which he might have raised, and taken it across the seas in the defence of his country.

Topic:   MILITARY SERVICE ACT, 1917.
Subtopic:   CONSIDERATION OF THE BILL IN COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE HOUSE.

Frank Oliver

Mr. OLIVER:

Might I ask my hon. friend what would be the chances of himself or some other gentleman recruiting another battalion in the district from which he raised his battalion?

Topic:   MILITARY SERVICE ACT, 1917.
Subtopic:   CONSIDERATION OF THE BILL IN COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE HOUSE.
CON

George Henry Bradbury

Mr. BRADBURY:

We have sent five battalions from that district and have drained it pretty well, but I know the feeling amongst the British and the Canadians there, and if a call comes I know there will be no hesitation on the part of our young men in responding again. I could raise half a battalion in that district in a very short time.

Topic:   MILITARY SERVICE ACT, 1917.
Subtopic:   CONSIDERATION OF THE BILL IN COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE HOUSE.

Frank Oliver

Mr. OLIVER:

If that is a fact-and I certainly will not question the hon. member's word-he proves there was absolutely no necessity for this conscription Bill. If my hon. friend is correct, the statement that is made on the face of the Bill must be incorrect,; and the Bill has no proper foundation. In regard to myself and the proper time to speak, the minister complained that I did not criticise the Government or give them the benefit of my views in the early stages of the war. And now my hon. friend complains because I venture to speak at this particular stage, when voluntary enlistment has ceased and is to be replaced toy compulsory service. Surely this is the time and place and occasion to settle the responsibility for that change of conditions, and I have been rendering what little help I can towards the settlements of that question.

Would it be agreeable to the Government to allow the Bill to remain in committee until we get a reprint of the Bill? It could be reconsidered in its reprinted form tomorrow. I have been asked by the leader of the Opposition to make this request.

Topic:   MILITARY SERVICE ACT, 1917.
Subtopic:   CONSIDERATION OF THE BILL IN COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE HOUSE.
CON

Arthur Meighen (Solicitor General of Canada)

Mr. MEIGHEN:

We are anxious to have the Bill reported, but we will not oppose the request the hon. member makes on behalf of the leader of the Opposition.

Progress reported.

Topic:   MILITARY SERVICE ACT, 1917.
Subtopic:   CONSIDERATION OF THE BILL IN COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE HOUSE.

SUPPLY.

House in Committee of Supply, Mr. Rainville in the Chair. Canadian Government Railways: Construction and betterments, $6,500,000; Dartmouth to Deans branch line, $65,000 ; to provide car ferry-construction terminals, etc., $310,000.

CON

Francis Cochrane (Minister of Railways and Canals)

Mr. COCHRANE:

This $6,500,000 is on capital account. It is not to complete any road. It is .a betterment.

Topic:   SUPPLY.
CON

Francis Cochrane (Minister of Railways and Canals)

Mr. COCHRANE:

That is the secopd

item. It will complete that road, hut that is not the item under discussion now.

Topic:   SUPPLY.
CON

John Howard Sinclair

Mr. SINCLAIR:

Will the minister fell us something about that road? Is it turning out profitably?

a386

Topic:   SUPPLY.
CON

Francis Cochrane (Minister of Railways and Canals)

Mr. COCHRANE:

I cannot say it is paying very well, but still for a branch line it is doing better than we anticipated.

Topic:   SUPPLY.

John Howard Sinclair

Mr. SINCLAIR:

For a good many years it has been a question in the province of Nova Scotia whether the Intercolonial should not undertake the building of certain branch lines, and take control of the traffic in those localities. This was one of the branch lines that was put forward, and it would be very interesting to know how it has turned out. I have heard that it has been very successful and that it has been a profitable feeder to the Intercolonial railway. If this be so, it might be a reason why the minister should continue the good policy of opening up some other branches which are very much needed in our province, especially one in my own constituency which was projected at the same time as this. If the minister has the information as to how traffic has grown on this road, it will be very interesting to the House and to the people of Nova Scotia.

Topic:   SUPPLY.