July 11, 1917

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Why?

Frank Oliver

Mr. OLIVER:

I do not know why. It is for my hon. friend to say. My point is that the hon. minister stated in this House that this Bill was framed to fall unequally upon the provinces of Canada.

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Frank Oliver

Mr. OLIVER:

That is what Hansard has him as saying-that it will fall more lightly upon the province of Quebec than upon any other province.

Subtopic:   CONSIDERATION OF THE BILL IN COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE HOUSE.
CON

Frederick Laurence Schaffner

Mr. SCHAFFNER:

Admit you are caught, and go on.

Frank Oliver

Mr. OLIVER:

No, I am not caught. Does the hon. minister desire me to retract?

Subtopic:   CONSIDERATION OF THE BILL IN COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE HOUSE.
CON

Arthur Meighen (Solicitor General of Canada)

Mr. MEIGHEN:

Certainly I desire you to retract.

Frank Oliver

Mr. OLIVER:

What does the hon. minister desire me to retract?

Subtopic:   CONSIDERATION OF THE BILL IN COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE HOUSE.
CON

Arthur Meighen (Solicitor General of Canada)

Mr. MEIGHEN:

Everything you said regarding my statement in the House, which was directly contrary to the fact, and which I may say now you knew to be contrary to the fact.

Frank Oliver

Mr. OLIVER:

If the hon. minister will be good enough to state the words he objects to, I will be very glad to retract them on his assertion.

Subtopic:   CONSIDERATION OF THE BILL IN COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE HOUSE.
CON

Arthur Meighen (Solicitor General of Canada)

Mr. MEIGHEN:

My hon. friend makes one statement too many. I do not intend to repeat what was a gross error, if not worse.

Frank Oliver

Mr. OLIVER:

I can only r say then that the hon. gentleman desiring me to retract what I said, I will with your permission, Mr. Chairman, retract it, and you will permit me to read from Hansard what my hon. friend said.

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Read it all.

Frank Oliver

Mr. OLIVER:

I think it will be very-interesting for the House. At page 2643 he says:

I want to say something else, and X do so with especial earnestness. It may be that in the heat of discussion I do not avoid animosities perhaps as carefully as I should; but I say this to those hon. gentlemen opposite] whose position with regard to this Bill is surrounded by embarrassments much, heavier than those that surround us, I say to them, that this Bill is not designed and is not framed to be unjust to the province of Quebec or to any other section of this country.

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Hear, hear.

Frank Oliver

Mr. OLIVER:

I point to the provisions of the Bill. This is not the time to discuss it in detail, but a few words will, I think, make my meaning apparent to everybody. It is framed and it is advanced in no spirit of recrimination whatsoever, in no spirit of petty jealousy, because the real men of this country, from end to end, are not of that feeling and do not want that feeling expressed by this Bill. We of English-speaking Canada have the kindest feelings towards our French Canadian compatriots.

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Hear, hear.

Frank Oliver

Mr. OLIVER:

Do I hear that from the hon. member for Frontenac (Mr. Edwards), and the hon. member for Parry Sound (Mr. Arthurs) P

Subtopic:   CONSIDERATION OF THE BILL IN COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE HOUSE.
CON

James Arthurs

Mr. ARTHURS:

You will find Parry Sound does its duty.

Frank Oliver

Mr. OLIVER (reading):

We realize that there are certain considerations having to do with this subject of recruiting that apply to them that do not apply with the same force to us. I want to say to the members from Quebec-

I would like my hon. friend (Mr. Meighen) to tell us what these are?

July 11, 1917