February 6, 1917

Edward Mortimer Macdonald

Mr. MACDONALD:

I will give to the Minister of Militia, if he desires, the name of this colonel.

L-C

Samuel Hughes

Liberal-Conservative

Sir SAM HUGHES:

As one having the interest of the soldiers at heart, I respectfully submit that the hon. member should not give out the name of the officer. I have never heard of this case, but I do not like to see the name of an officer brought in.

Edward Mortimer Macdonald

Mr. MACDONALD:

If it is bad form for this colonel over in England, who is not a political colonel, to write certain remarks of this kind, what is the form of the Colonei from New Westminster?

L-C

Samuel Hughes

Liberal-Conservative

Sir SAM HUGHES:

I do not think my hon. friend should give the officer away.

Topic:   WAR LOAN-$500,000,000.
CON

James Davis Taylor

Mr. TAYLOR:

The colonel from New Westminster is not anonymous or ashamed of what he said.

Edward Mortimer Macdonald

Mr. MACDONALD:

This gentleman is not anonymous. If it comes to a question of pluck and achievement, the gentlemen of whom I am speaking will compare with the hon. member for New Westminster. He did not spend two months in England; he went over in 1914, and has not come home yet. He goes on:

If the facts that exist here were known in Canada-but our mouths are closed as long as we wear uniforms.

CON

Edward Mortimer Macdonald

Mr. MACDONALD:

No, it is written

from a camp in England. If my hon. friend wants to suggest any question about this letter, I pledge my word as a member of this House that I will give the name of the writer to the Minister of Militia. '

CON

Edward Mortimer Macdonald

Mr. MACDONALD:

He is at work in

England at the present time. He goes on further:

The impression with many officers is that the young life's blood of Canada is exploited to glorify the Tory party, and I must admit that it seems to be true.

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Oh, oh.

Edward Mortimer Macdonald

Mr. MACDONALD:

What further does the- gentleman say:

I do not know whether the censor will pass this or not. If he does not I hope he will pass it on to the Government for I am going to sign my name to it and dare any one to contradict anything written here.

I have stated what I am prepared to do in regard to the matter. I desire to say that if, as has been suggested by the ex-Minister of Militia (Sir Sam Hughes) that this colonel, who went over in August, 1914, and has not yet seen his home or family, is not permitted to express his opinion in regard to the conditions over there without being denounced by hon. gentlement opposite, my hon. friend from Westminster (Mr. Taylor) has no right to lecture the men who sit on this side of the House when there are in France the graves of three boys, sons of members, and when there are some twenty-five to thirty members on this side of the House whose boys are over there. We need no lectures from hon. gentlemen opposite on this question.

CON

Edward Mortimer Macdonald

Mr. MACDONALD:

I will put the word of the man who wrote this statement against the word of my hon. friend.

CON
CON

Edward Mortimer Macdonald

Mr. MACDONALD:

I have told my hon. friend from Annapolis what I will do with respect to the name. I merely rose for the purpose of showing that there are colonels on the other side who have something to say.

CON

Edward Mortimer Macdonald

Mr. MACDONALD:

Here is the letter

with the signature to it, and I am prepared to show it to the Prime Minister or to the Minister of Militia at any moment. These statements are made by a man who left here two and a half years ago, and there is no justification whatever for the suggestion that hon. members on this side of the House should not indulge in reasonable criticism. What criticism has ever been made in this House so keen as that made by the ex-Minister of Militia (Sir Sam Hughes), who declared that if the conditions as he found them to exist at one time in England were permitted to continue under the administration of a new Minister of Militia, the forces would be reduced to a chaotic condition. Has there been anything more emphatic than that statement? Could any stronger criticism be made?

L-C

Samuel Hughes

Liberal-Conservative

Sir SAM HUGHES:

What I said had

reference to the statement that political action had been taken on the other side during the last nine months or during whatever time that officer has been over there. What I meant to say was that under my administration, I challenge the face of clay to point to a single instance of political preferment.

February 6, 1917