January 29, 1917

CON

Charles Marcil

Mr. MARCIL:

The other is published in Montreal, by a man who is not in politics. It is a Sunday paper and it hits at both political parties.

Topic:   WILFRID LATJRIER.
CON

John Wesley Edwards

Mr. EDWARDS:

The whole thing is

then that one paper has the misfortune to be published by a Conservative and the other by a man who is not in politics. If my hon. friend gets any comfort from that he is entitled to that comfort.

Let me refer to other statements and see if my hon. friend will get as much comfort out of them. The hon. gentleman, speaking in this House the other day, said:

All Canadians, regardless of their origin, regardless of the- province in wbicb they reside, are one in wishing that the Allies will soon win a great victory, the victory of civilization and of humanity.

That is a very nice expression. We will see if it is borne out by the facts. The hon. gentleman also says:

If there is anybody in this country who has reason to be loyal to the British flag it is the French-Canadian. I want you and the members of this House to put this down deep in your hearts, that the last gun to be fired here in defence of the Union Jack will be fired by a French-Canadian, because for us the British flag means all that we have.

Now, Mr. Speaker, that is very nice language and I think I have heard something like that several times before. Allow me to call my hon. friend's attention to this fact, that nearly always when they are speaking in those terms, they refer to the last gun being fired for the defence of the flag and say it will be fired by a French-Canadian. Now, we are not so much concerned about the last gun, we would like some one to go over and fire the first gun and the middle gun; to take a crack at it along that line. Allow me to ask my hon. friend (Mr. Marcil) and the member for Rouville (Mr. Lemieux) and some other gentlemen who have got off that last gun business in this House, to, for Heaven's sake the next time they are bringing that up as an evidence of the loyalty and devotion of French-Canadians of the province of Quebec, change that word 'last" to "first." Let us have a change in that way.

My hon. friend from Bonaventure said in the course of his remarks the other day that certain of the people of his province took a limited view of their duties as British subjects. These are his words, they are not mine. I cannot be blamed for repeating them. He also said:

We are with the Allies, and there is not a man, woman or child in the province of Quebec who is not in some way or other helping the cause of the Allies.

In what way does he think a certain man by the name of Bourassa is helping the cause of the Allies, or is he to be left out of Quebec? There is another gentleman down there by the name of Lavergne. Does my hon. friend include him in the list of every man, woman and Child, or does he place him out of the category of men?

CON
CON

John Wesley Edwards

Mr. EDWARDS:

If my hon. friend will

except many others, we may let the matter pass. Now, about this remark of my hon. friend from Bonaventure, I hope I am quot-

ing him correctly-again I am quoting from Hansard, although he may have had this corrected. I shall give him an opportunity to say:

All that could possibly be done in Quebec has been done to give the ranks of the Allies a fair representation of the people of the province of Quebec.

All that could be done has been done? So he alleges.

If the Government would send a circular throughout my constituency saying: We need

500 shantymen at $40 a month for a period of six months, they would get them in a week. If they would send another circular saying: We need so many deep sea fishermen and we are going to pay them so much a day and] employ them for so long, they would have an immediate response.

Obi, indeed? So in the county of Bona-vienture, according to my hon. friend's statement, if the Government wants somebody to cut wood or to fish, the county of Bonaventure can provide them and provide them speedily and quickly provided they pay so much a day or a month and agree to employ them for a certain'specified time.

Topic:   WILFRID LATJRIER.
CON

John Wesley Edwards

Mr. EDWARDS:

I am sorry if I am getting on my hon. friend's nerves.

Charles Marcil

Mr. MARCIL:

I made those remarks in connection with; the National Service, which I understood had no miltary intent whatever.

Some hon. MEMBERS:

Oh, oh.

Charles Marcil

Mr. MARCIL:

Is that the intention of

the Government or not? The Government have declared that the cards were sent out for economic reasons and not for military purposes-

Topic:   WILFRID LATJRIER.
CON

John Wesley Edwards

Mr. EDWARDS:

Allow me to point out that there is a bigger National Service than that represented by the National Service cards. I wonder does my hon. friend realize that. But at the same time since, he challenges me in regard to those words of his not of mine. The hon. member for North Grey (Mr. Middlebro) asked:

If the Government sent out a request for *200 volunteers, would they get them in your constituency?

What was the answer of my hon. friend (Mr. Marcil) to that? He said:

If my hon. friend from North Grey will come down to the county of Bonaventure to spend his vacation two thousand Scotch Presbyterians will give him his answer.

Topic:   WILFRID LATJRIER.
CON

John Wesley Edwards

Mr. EDWARDS:

Was it from the Scotch Presbyterians that my hon. friend's constituency sent the one per cent of its population, as he alleged to the war? The only man he mentioned as having gone from his county was a man who bore the name of. Maguire. That sounds somewhat Irish to me. But there it is on Hansard, and it is unfortunate that my hon. friend should express himself in such a way that he has to correct himself and make explanations later on.

Charles Marcil

Mr. MAROIL:

Will the hon. gentleman allow me to explain now? In answering my hon. friend from North Grey, I did not want to impose upon him the obligation of coming to my constituency and addressing the French people there. What I intended to say was that I would get together two thousand English-speaking citizens of Bonaventure county at New Richmond, in the centre of the county, and give him the opportunity of making the appeal he was then making. That is what I meant.

Topic:   WILFRID LATJRIER.
CON

John Wesley Edwards

Mr. EDWARDS:

Very good. I notice that my hon. friend did not answer the question of the hon. member for North Grey as to whether Bonaventure would give him two hundred Tecruits.

Mr MARCIL:

Will my hon. friend allow me to make another explanation; it will be the last one.

Topic:   WILFRID LATJRIER.
CON

John Wesley Edwards

Mr. EDWARDS:

My hon. friend is rather infringing the rule. I understood that an hon. member could speak only once in the debate on the Address.

Topic:   WILFRID LATJRIER.
CON

John Wesley Edwards

Mr. EDWARDS:

I do not wish to prevent my hon. friend from making his explanations. However, I will not dwell too long on one point, because there are one or two others.

January 29, 1917