TAYLOR (New Westminster) moved the adoption of the- first report of the Select Standing Committee to supervise the debates of the House, which reads as follows:
Your committee have had under consideration the subject of the organization of the office of the official reporters, and, with a view to promoting efficiency and economy, would recommend:-
(1) That the official heretofore styled the
chief reporter be henceforth designated editor of debates, and be given the direction and supervision of the reporting and of all other matters connected with the preparation and publication of the official report other than the translating; and that he be exempted from the work of reporting except in cases of emergency. , .
(2) That one of the reporters be designated associate editor of debates, and, in the absence of the editor, discharge his duties and
have his authority, but when not so acting continue as at present to take his turn at reporting.
(3) That the official, at present styled assistant to the chief reporter, be designated assistant editor.
(4) That, to enable this arrangement to be carried out, it is advisable that an additional English reporter be appointed.
(5) That, with a view of attaining greater efficiency in connection with the reporting, the proper authorities be requested to give effect to the application of two members of the reporting staff who are applying for supex
(6) That the analytical index to the English and French editions of the official .report of the debates of this House be discontinued forthwith.