February 1, 1912

CON

Frederick Debartzch Monk (Minister of Public Works)

Mr. MONK.

We will consider it, Mr. Chairman. Of course, it is a pity that when there was a possibility during the whole year of beginning a work of this kind it was not begun.

Henry Robert Emmerson

Air. EMMERSON.

That shows that it had nothing to do with the elections.

William Pugsley

Air. PUGSLEY.

Aly hon. friend will realize that these things cannot all be done at once. Engineers have to prepare plans and specifications.

Goose Creek harbour-breakwater, $2,000.

William Pugsley

Mr. PUGSLEY.

What about Gooseberry cove breakwater? That lias been left out. Is it finished?

Subtopic:   L, 1912
CON

Frederick Debartzch Monk (Minister of Public Works)

Mr. MONK.

I have no information about Gooseberry cove.

Subtopic:   L, 1912
CON

Frederick Debartzch Monk (Minister of Public Works)

Mr. MONK.

Probably it has been finished.

Henry Robert Emmerson

Mr. EMMERSON.

In the late estimate there was a vote for $3,000 for a wharf at Shediac Island, and that vote is not repeated in the present estimates. The people living on that island are thrifty French Acadians, engaged in fishing and agriculture, and while in the winter they can cross on the ice, in the summer their supplies have all to be obtained from the mainland and there is neither wharf nor landing place, which, of course, imposes great inconvenience on the inhabitants.

Subtopic:   L, 1912
CON

Frederick Debartzch Monk (Minister of Public Works)

Mr. MONK.

Why was not the wharf built last year?

William Pugsley

Mr. PUGSLEY.

Because the vote was not obtained in time. The work could not be commenced without the money having been voted.

Henry Robert Emmerson

Mr. EMMERSON.

If the late government were selfish in the matter, from a political standpoint, it would be desirable to do the work and the fact that the work was not undertaken proves that it was not a political venture at all.

Henry Robert Emmerson

Mr. EMMERSON.

If there is any lingering doubt, in the mind of the present Minister of Public Works on this point I wanted to remove it. The inhabitants of Shediac Island are sorely in need of this wharf.

Subtopic:   L, 1912
CON

Frederick Debartzch Monk (Minister of Public Works)

Mr. MONK.

I will take the matter into consideration. I may remind my hon. friend (Mr. Emmerson) that I lived on an | island myself for many years, and I tried to get the late government to build a wharf but I met with failure.

Henry Robert Emmerson

Mr. EMMERSON.

I hope this government is not so hardhearted.

Some resolutions reported.

Subtopic:   L, 1912

ADJOURNMENT-NAPIERVILLE POST OFFICE SITE.

Mr. MONK moved the adjournment of the House.

Roch Lanctôt

Mr. R. LANOTOT (Lapraire-Napierville).

(Translation):

Mr. CHAIRMAN, before the adjournment I beg leave to put a question to the hon. Minister of Public Works, concerning the Naipierville post office site.

DEPUTY SPEAKER. (Mr. Blondin). I will remind the hon. member that he is not

allowed to enter into a discussion of anything else than the item now under discussion.

Topic:   SUPPLY.
Subtopic:   ADJOURNMENT-NAPIERVILLE POST OFFICE SITE.

Roch Lanctôt

Mr. LANCTOT.

It is only a question that I want to ask the hon. member. On the 16th January last, on the item for a public building at Napier, I asked the hon. member if it was the intention of his department to erect the building on the site purchased by the late government. His answer was that effectually there was a vote of $15,000 for a public building in the city of Napier, on St. Luke street, that $1,000 had been paid for the site and that the work was to be proceeded with without delay.

That was on the 16th of January last. On the 22nd January I received a letter from Mr. Pierre Bourgeois in which letter I am asked to interest myself in this question and see that he is paid by the Department of Public Works. Therefore he had not been paid on the 22nd, in spite of what was said by the minister on the 16th. I wrote immediately to Mr. Bourgeois informing him that he must have received a cheque in settlement of his claim, since the minister had declared on the 16th that he had .paid for the site in question. On the 28th January I received another letter from Mr. Bourgeois stating that he had not yet been paid. . .

I would like to know from the minister, how is it that the cheque has been sent to Napier more than three months ago and that Mr. Bourgeois has not yet been paid.

I do not know if my information is correct, but I am told that the Department of Public Works has written to the Department of Justice advising them to do nothing until further advice. The Department of Justice, in turn, has written to Mr. Barrette,'notary, not to make the payment until he receives further instructions.

Topic:   SUPPLY.
Subtopic:   ADJOURNMENT-NAPIERVILLE POST OFFICE SITE.
CON

Frederick Debartzch Monk (Minister of Public Works)

Mr. MONK.

The information I gave to my hon. friend was furnished to me by the officials of my department. I think the matter was brought to the Interior Department. I will inquire about it and then give the information asked for by the hon. member.

Topic:   SUPPLY.
Subtopic:   ADJOURNMENT-NAPIERVILLE POST OFFICE SITE.

February 1, 1912