May 3, 1911

William Paterson (Minister of Customs)

Mr. PATERSON.

The hon. gentleman attaches importance to it. What I meant to point out is that he has placed on 'Hansard' these tables that have'taken a very long time to read. His object, I believe, is that this committee may come to an understanding as to the wisdom of (this arrangement that has been made.

I quoted this last night, so I will not refer to it further.

Topic:   WAYS AND MEANS-RECIPROCAL TRADE WITH THE UNITED STATES.

James Kirkpatrick Kerr (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER.

I have no objection to the hon. gentleman proceeding, but I would like some understanding to be reached. He is an old member of the House, and I would like him to remember these two

Topic:   WAYS AND MEANS-RECIPROCAL TRADE WITH THE UNITED STATES.
CON

George Taylor

Mr. TAYLOR (Leeds).

rules, that he cannot refer to a previous debate, and that he cannot discuss the subject of reciprocity, which is now before the Committee of Ways and Means.

Topic:   WAYS AND MEANS-RECIPROCAL TRADE WITH THE UNITED STATES.
CON

George Taylor

Mr. TAYLOR (Leeds).

That was the statement made with the Speaker in the Chair. It cannot be out of order in both places-with the Speaker in the Chair and in Committee of the Whole. The speech was delivered with the Speaker in the Chair and in Committee of the Whole, and a cabinet minister cannot escape being criticised in either the one case or the other.

Topic:   WAYS AND MEANS-RECIPROCAL TRADE WITH THE UNITED STATES.
CON

George Taylor

Mr. TAYLOR (Leeds).

You do not purpose talking reciprocity until next fall, do you?

Topic:   WAYS AND MEANS-RECIPROCAL TRADE WITH THE UNITED STATES.

Wilfrid Laurier (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Sir WILFRID LAURIER.

Hear, hear.

Topic:   WAYS AND MEANS-RECIPROCAL TRADE WITH THE UNITED STATES.
CON

James Davis Taylor

Mr. TAYLOR.

I want to quote this statement taken from page 7032 of ' Hansard '. The minister said:

Oh, no. What did we do with the malt business, if you want a common sample of it? They had a duty on malt and they said that they wanted their interest guarded. What was done? We left our malt duty on just a9 it was in the tariff. The American duty was about two and a balf tames as high as ours, and we had the American government reduce their duty to our duty. So, it was with respect to other questions when they came up. We knew this, yet, these hon. gentlemen say that we do not know anything about it, that we went it blind. They have tfie information now; let us see all that would happen if these eggs and cheese and butter should be allowed in. Of eggs, 750,456 dozen came into this country. This is going to ruin, the farmers! If you multiply the dozens by twelve that gives you 9,000,000 of eggs. Thus, every man, woman and child in this country will get an egg and an eighth a year. You asked for information ! I am giving it to you and you will not believe it. We have heard about butter; 389,462 pounds of butter came into this Dominion not only from these twelve countries, but from all countries. I rediuee it into ounces and I find that 6,231,392 ounces of butter came into this country-three-quarters of an ounce of butter for every man, woman and child in this country in a year! Now that you have that information, do yen think it will help you to make up your mind whether you are in favour of this agreement or not? But there is another thing. The cheese industry is going to be ruined! 662,568 pounds of cheese coming into this country! This man Fielding went down there and had President Taft gold brick him!

Some hon. MEMBERS

Hear, hear.

Topic:   WAYS AND MEANS-RECIPROCAL TRADE WITH THE UNITED STATES.

William Paterson (Minister of Customs)

Mr. PATERSON.

Reduced to ounces it represents a little over 10,000,000. That is worse than the butter, because it is an ounce and a quarter for every man, woman and child in this country in a year.

Now I asked the minister for a return of what came into Canada in the month of February and he gave me the quantity.

119,728 pounds of cheese came in. Great Britain sent us 3,000 pounds; the United States, 11,000; Italy, 101,000 pounds; Germany, 113,000 pounds; Holland, 2,759 Dounds, making a total of 119,729 pounds. This came in at a duty of 3 cents per pound. What will that importation amount to when cheese is allowed in free as it will be if this agreement should be ratified? In one month 119,729 pounds came in. Multiply that by twelve and then multiply the total by sixteen, at the rate of sixteen ounces to the pound, and in place of one ounce and a quarter you will have three ounces of imported cheese for each man, woman and child in Canada. That is the statement made by the Minister of Customs.

I made the minister a proposition last night. I said that if he would back up the statement he made in this appendix which he added to the speech of the hon. member for Grenville (Mr. Reid), I would make him a present of $100 for any charitable institution he would name in Brantford.

Topic:   WAYS AND MEANS-RECIPROCAL TRADE WITH THE UNITED STATES.

William Paterson (Minister of Customs)

Mr. PATERSON.

I will take it now, if my hon. friend

Topic:   WAYS AND MEANS-RECIPROCAL TRADE WITH THE UNITED STATES.
CON

George Taylor

Mr. TAYLOR (Leeds).

I am not going to be interrupted. When the hon. minister was speaking, a couple of my friends on this side very respectfully asked leave to put him some very respectable questions. My hon. friend from Algoma (Mr. Boyce) wanted to put him a question, but the minister _said.'No.'. .My hon. friend from-Quebec West (Mr. Price) asked if he might put a question and the minister said, ' No, sit down.' That was the treatment we received from him, and he is not going to interfere with me when I am performing the surgical operation on his appendix which I told him last night I would perform. The hon. minister said that he had brought down to this House a blue-book at the opening of the session giving all the information which the hon. member for Grenville (Mr. Reid) had given. I say that he cannot produce any blue-book giving the statistics and information which my hon. friend from Grenville gave. If he did produce one, I would make him a present of $100 for any charitable institution in Brantford he might name.

Topic:   WAYS AND MEANS-RECIPROCAL TRADE WITH THE UNITED STATES.

William Paterson (Minister of Customs)

Mr. PATERSON.

Here is the blue-book.

Topic:   WAYS AND MEANS-RECIPROCAL TRADE WITH THE UNITED STATES.
CON

George Taylor

Mr. TAYLOR (Leeds).

If the hon. gentleman will turn up any page in that blue-book-

Some hon. MEMBERS

Hand over the

Topic:   WAYS AND MEANS-RECIPROCAL TRADE WITH THE UNITED STATES.
CON

George Taylor

Mr. TAYLOR (Leeds).

If the hon. minister will turn up any page in that blue-book and read from it the exports from British India of animals, fruit, corn, hay,

meat or vegetables for the year ending March 31, then I will cheerfully give him the $100, and say that he told the truth. But if he will not, then he told an absolute falsehood to this House.

Some hon. MEMBERS

Order.

Topic:   WAYS AND MEANS-RECIPROCAL TRADE WITH THE UNITED STATES.

James Kirkpatrick Kerr (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER.

That expression is not parliamentary.

Topic:   WAYS AND MEANS-RECIPROCAL TRADE WITH THE UNITED STATES.
CON

George Taylor

Mr. TAYLOR (Leeds).

Then I will cheerfully withdraw it, but I will back it up with the proposition I made. If that information is in that book, the hon. minister will have $100 to give to any charitable institution he pleases.

Topic:   WAYS AND MEANS-RECIPROCAL TRADE WITH THE UNITED STATES.

William Stevens Fielding (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. FIELDING.

My hon. friend must not bet. It is against the law.

May 3, 1911