February 28, 1911

Sydney Arthur Fisher (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. FISHER.

Yet, at the time when Sir Charles Tupper said that and when Sir John Macdonald himself, was waving that flag, both of them were trying to get from the United States just exactly the arrangement that we have got to-day. They were trying to get it by going on their knees to Washington, while we have Washington coming to us. They failed and we have succeeded. Probably that is one of the great causes of complaint. These hon. gentlemen opposite, are envious of our success and of the prosperity which it will bring to the country.

I have not finished yet with some words from Sir Charles Tupper. He didn't get his treaty but he did accomplish a friendly act with the administration at Washington, and this is what he said:

That -was the condition of things when I went down last Easter to see Mr. Bayard at Washington. If you compare the condition of things to-day with the condition of things that existed then, there is no man, I care not how partisan he may be, how unfriendly to this government he may be, who can judicially look at the position of this question then and now, without coming to the conclusion that we have emerged from midnight darkness into the light of day under the auspices of this treaty.

And that though they did not get a treaty. In regard to what was meant by that treaty, he says:

We have made concessions, as I have said, but we have made them with the avowed object of placing all our people, not only the fishermen, but the agriculturist, the lumberman, every man in this country in a better relation with the United States than he was before.

Topic:   WAYS AND MEANS-RECIPROCAL TRADE WITH THE UNITED STATES.
CON

George Taylor

Mr. TAYLOR (Leeds).

The hon. gentleman (Mr. Fisher) referred to me as having

been present in the House when Sir Charles Tupper made these remarks. I would like to ask him if he did not oppose Sir Charles Tupper at that time?

Topic:   WAYS AND MEANS-RECIPROCAL TRADE WITH THE UNITED STATES.

Sydney Arthur Fisher (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. FISHER.

Not upon that point. On that point the Liberal party in this House supported the then government. There were details of the treaty that we did criticise.

Topic:   WAYS AND MEANS-RECIPROCAL TRADE WITH THE UNITED STATES.
CON

George Taylor

Mr. TAYLOR (Leeds).

My hon. friend (Mr. Fisher) was here then?

Topic:   WAYS AND MEANS-RECIPROCAL TRADE WITH THE UNITED STATES.
CON

George Taylor

Mr. TAYLOR (Leeds).

I certainly understood that you opposed (Sir Charles Tupper then.

Topic:   WAYS AND MEANS-RECIPROCAL TRADE WITH THE UNITED STATES.
CON

Arthur Samuel Goodeve

Mr. GOODEVE.

That was thirty years

ago.

Topic:   WAYS AND MEANS-RECIPROCAL TRADE WITH THE UNITED STATES.

Sydney Arthur Fisher (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. FISHER.

What I am speaking about is as to the consistent policy of Canada in this respect. My hon. friend from Brandon said it was not reciprocity, and my hon. friend opposite said it was not reciprocity, b.ut I will come in a few minutes to another proof that if in 1888 this was their policy, later on they still had the same policy and kept it up.

CON

Sydney Arthur Fisher (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. FISHER.

Does my hon. friend say no?

Topic:   WAYS AND MEANS-RECIPROCAL TRADE WITH THE UNITED STATES.
CON

Arthur Samuel Goodeve

Mr. GOODEVE.

Give us any proof after 1891.

Topic:   WAYS AND MEANS-RECIPROCAL TRADE WITH THE UNITED STATES.

Sydney Arthur Fisher (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. FISHER.

I will give some proof in 1891. ,

Topic:   WAYS AND MEANS-RECIPROCAL TRADE WITH THE UNITED STATES.
CON

Arthur Samuel Goodeve

Mr. GOODEVE.

I said after 1891.

Topic:   WAYS AND MEANS-RECIPROCAL TRADE WITH THE UNITED STATES.

Sydney Arthur Fisher (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. FISHER.

I am glad my hon. friend has asked that because it gives me an opportunity of telling him a little something about 1891 that perhaps he does'nt know. I am afraid there are many young Conservative members a little fresh in this House, who to-day forget the traditions and the policy of their own party. They have come upon evil times in the last ten years for the Conservative party.

CON

Sydney Arthur Fisher (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. FISHER.

I said evil times for their party; but not evil times for the country.

Topic:   WAYS AND MEANS-RECIPROCAL TRADE WITH THE UNITED STATES.
CON

Haughton Lennox

Mr. LENNOX.

Will the minister allow

me?

Topic:   WAYS AND MEANS-RECIPROCAL TRADE WITH THE UNITED STATES.

Sydney Arthur Fisher (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. FISHER.

Let me finish-hon. gentlemen opposite all through this debate have been saying that the country is very prosperous, and that we don't want reciprocity, and that there is no need of it, and that being so it must be a good time for the country but it obviously is an evil time for the Conservative party.

Topic:   WAYS AND MEANS-RECIPROCAL TRADE WITH THE UNITED STATES.
CON

Haughton Lennox

Mr. LENNOX.

I did not say there were evil times for the country; I said there was an evil government for the country.

February 28, 1911