February 27, 1911

CON

Thomas Beattie

Mr. BEATTIE.

I am somewhat surprised, in fact, I am astonished, at the course this discussion has taken. I wish to tell the hon. member for Red Deer (Mr. Clark) that I was not waving any flag; I simply put a quiet resolution on the Order Paper, wishing for an expression of opinion which would discourage foreigners coming into this country and waving not only one flag, but hundreds of flags. You cannot go to a theatre but on the stage, if the company have to wave a flag they wave the stars and stripes, or a foreign flag. I think it would be only common decency and politeness when these companies come here to take the money of our people that they should wave only the flag of our country. I have the greatest respect for foreign flags, but I think they might, in common politeness and decency, wave the flag of Great Britain. It seems to me ignorance on their part not to do so.

Reference has been made to flying the Union Jack on all our public buildings. I have no such intention; I do not wish it. There are certain buildings over which the flag should fly, such as customs houses. It flies on the customs house in London, but I had no intention of having it placed on all public buildings. I was not waving the flag; I simply wanted to discourage hundreds and hundreds of foreigners coming in here and bringing in not one, but dozens of Mr. CHISHOLM.

flags, covering all their vehicles. The moment they go to a watering place they erect a flagstaff apd on it place a foreign flag. Hundreds of children go to Muskoka and other places and find not a Union Jack, nothing but foreign flags. It is a great mistake, our own children get the idea that it is our flag and unfortunately many of our people do not understand the flag. The red ensign we fly on our buildings is a ship's flag and we have no right to fly it in that way. The Union Jack should fly on all private buildings. On our ships we use a Canadian flag, that is, a British flag, with a coat of arms in The corner to let the customs officers know that the ship is from Canada, and in Australia they do the same thing, but they are not national flags, and it is a pity that when our people want to use a flag they do not use the Union Jack, that the flag of the empire. The hon. member for Pictou (Mr. Macdonald) has been very polite, saying the resolution was crude and ungrammatical. I would like to see some of his documents. If we read them through, I believe we would find many of them much worse than that. Some of these professional men have got the idea that no one is fit to draw a resolution but themselves. I have no fault to find with that. I am surprised that the member for Red Deer should think I was -waving the flag.

If I had been asked to withdraw the resolution at the proper time I would have done so. but after it has gone to the country now I would be ashamed to go back to my constituents and say I had withdrawn it. I would like to oblige the Finance Minister and the Minister of Public Works by withdrawing, but if I did so now I would become a laughing-stock. It is a resolution for which every man should vote. 1 simply w &nt an expression of opinion from the House to discourage this promiscuous flying of foreign flags instead of our own.

House divided on amendment, Mr. Macdonald (Pictou).

Messieurs

Allard,

Allen,

Aylesworth (Sir Allen),

Beaupa riant,

Behind.

Bickerdike,

Bureau,

Carvell,

Cash,

Champagne,

Chew,

Chisholm (Antigonish) Chisholm (Inverness), Clark (Red Deer), Clarke (Essex), Congdon,

Currie

Magrath,

Maddin,

Currie (Simcoe), Slxarpe (Ontario), Sharpe (Lisgar), Rhodes,

Thornton,

Jameson,

Russell.

Motion for adjournment of the debate agreed to.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   FLYING OF FLAGS IN CANADA.

William Pugsley (Minister of Public Works)

Mr. PUGSLEY.

I can now give to my hon. friend the leader of the opposition the information as to all the days on which it is ordered that the flag shall be flown. They are as follows : March 17, St. Patrick's Day ; April 23, St. George's Day ; May 24, Victoria Day ; May 26, Queen's birthday ; June 3, King's Birthday ; June 23, Prince of Wales' Birthday ; June 24, St. Jean Baptiste Day ; July 1, Dominion Day ; November 30, St. Andrew's Day ; and now March 1, St. David's Day. These are in addition to the flying of the flag daily at all border towns and principal seaports.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   FLYING OF FLAGS IN CANADA.

THE MARKEY FISHING LEASE.

CON

Glenlyon Campbell

Mr. CAMPBELL moved :

For a copy of all orders in counoil, corres-, pondence and other papers relating to the fishing lease granted to one Markey in the waters of the Nelson river and other northern waters; and of all correspondence with regard to the proposed cancellation of same, and a copy of the said lease.

He said : Mr. Speaker, in making this motion, I do not want to bring in any contentious matter. All I want is to have the information brought down, and I feel sure that the minister will bring it down. My impression was that he had assured me that these fishing leases had all been cancelled. It is a matter of grave import to this country that they should be cancelled, particularly this one. In the event of the Hudson Bay railway being built, this lease, which cost $10 a year, will be of immense value. For that reason I hope that the fullest information that can be given to this House will be given by the minister. Later on, when I have the information, I will bring the matter up.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   THE MARKEY FISHING LEASE.

Motion agreed to. (COMMONS

MOTIONS AGREED TO WITHOUT DISCUSSION.

For a return showing all applications for aid to the construction of dry docks under the Dry Dock Subsidies Act, 1910, the location or situation of each proposed dock, the dimensions thereof as well as the extent of property and plant proposed, the amount of subsidy in each case, and full particulars of all applications which have been granted, and all those now under consideration.-Mr. Taylor (Leeds). For a copy of all letters, papers, telegrams, and documents, vouchers and pay sheets, showing the names of all persons who supplied materials or worked, and the prices and rates of wages, and sums paid to each, in connection with the construction of a wharf at Deep Brook, N.S.-Mr. Jameson. For a return showing respectively, the total trade, the imports, the exports for each year from 184-6 to 1876, both inclusive, between the British North American possessions, except Newfoundland, and the United Kingdom, the United States of America, and other countries respectively.-Mr. Borden (Halifax). For a copy of all orders in council, reports, correspondence, documents and papers touching the dismissal of the sub-collector of customs at Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia.-Mr. Taylor (Leeds).

THIRD READING.

Bill (No. 4) to amend the Railway Act- Mr. Martin (St. Mary's, Montreal).

ADJOURNMENT-BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE.

Sir WILFRID LAURIER moved the adjournment of the House.

William Stevens Fielding (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. FIELDING.

I desire to lay on the table a supplementary return in relation to the reciprocity agreement, containing additional letters received on the subject, for and against.

Topic:   ADJOURNMENT-BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE.

Robert Bickerdike

Mr. BICKERDIKE.

I desire to call the attention of the Prime Minister to an important measure on the Order Paper for the protection of children in the cities, known as the Juvenile Delinquents Bill, which stands for its second reading. I am sure that it will only take about ten minutes to dispose of it.

Topic:   ADJOURNMENT-BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE.

Wilfrid Laurier (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Sir WILFRID LAURIER.

If the Bill of my hon. friend were the next in order there would be no objection ; but there are several just as important on the paper before that of my hon. friend.

Topic:   ADJOURNMENT-BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE.
CON

Arthur Meighen

Mr. MEIGHEN.

Before the House adjourns I beg to call the attention of the Prime Minister to the fact that we are very close to order No. 8, the further consideration of the resolution in favour of a substantial reduction in the duties on agricultural implements which I had the honour to urge upon the House one month ago. At a later date, when Mr. CAMPBELL.

we approached the order for resuming the discussion, the Prime Minister moved the adjournment of the House, so that the discussion was avoided at his instance. He assured me then that on the following Monday it would come up, but that again did not turn out to be correct. To-night the resolution is again shifted ahead by the motion of the Prime Minister, and I very much fear that the result will be that it will not be reached again this session, as I understand that this is the last private members' day.

Topic:   ADJOURNMENT-BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE.

Motion agreed to, and House adjourned at 10.05 p.m.

Tuesday, February 28, 1911.

February 27, 1911