January 18, 1911

Mr. BRODEUR: (Minister of the Naval Service; Minister of Marine and Fisheries)

1. Answer given on attached statement.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   GOVERNMENT STEAMER ' STANLEY.'

LIST OF OFFICERS AND CREW OF CANADIAN GOVERNMENT STR. ' STANLEY 1 WITH OCCUPATION AND PLACE OF

RESIDENCE. Name and occupation. Place of residence. St. John, N.B. Montague, P.E. I I. C. Rhude, 1st officer

LIST OF OFFICERS AND CREW -Con. Name and occupation. L. A. Kenney, 2nd officer M. Brickley, 3rd officer J. T. Meredith, chief engineer. L. R. Unsworth, 2nd m L. J. Martin, 3rd m .... F. Tribe, 4th engineer J. Coggswell, steward Wm. McNeil, 2nd steward F. Holt, 3rd steward A. Hurst, asst, steward W. J. Ingram, cook E. J. Ellis, 2nd cook Wm. Chapman, carpenter Wm. Glawson, boatswain J. McKenzie, storekeeper Wm. Nicholson, engineer artificer. Brenton Selfridge 11 ..Geo. Thompson M .. H. H. Lyle, Marconi operator.... J. Ryan, quartermaster Nels. Larsen * Wm. Ring M L, Clark, seaman C. Upham .< IC. Kerr „ F. Kenney A. Emilson, seaman J. Matheson n W. Barry m E. Landry „ George McLellan J. White, fireman C. McCarthy h K. King iB. Orton M G. Conners n G. Clark M P. McCabe trimmer J. Jensen „ J. Hatter u W. Kenney h S. Nelson m Wm. Gillespie n E. Olsen Place of residence. Shag Harbour, N.S. St. John, N.B. Charlottetown,

Caledonia, P.E. I Halifax, N.S. St. John, N.B. Halifax, N.S. St. John, N.B. Yarmouth, N.S. St. John, N.B. Halifax, N.S. St. John, N.B. Point Aconi, N.S. Wolfville, N.S. St. John, N.B. Halifax, N.S. St. John, N.B. Wolfville, N.S. Kargeri,Norway London, Eng. Halifax, N.S. River B o u r -geois, N.S. St. John, N.B. M St. John, Nfld. Halifax, N.S. Charlottet o w n, P.E.I. Carbonear, Nfld. St. John, N.B. Kri st ins a nd, Norway. Halifax, N.S. Bear Point,N.S. Norway (Ham-stad) Sweden. St. John, N.B. Kri stensand, Norway.

MOTIONS AGREED TO WITHOUT DISCUSSION.

Return showing the total acreage of school lands sold in the provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan in each of the years 1906, 1907 and 1908, with the average prices realized, also a statement of sales of such lands in each said province since 1st of January, 1909, to date, giving the places at which each sale was held and date of sale; the description of the land sold; the upset price at which it was offered and the price realized; and the area of land in each township, in which these school lands are located, that was under cultivation at the time it was decided to sell the school lands therein-Mr. McCarthy. Copy of all correspondence had between the government, or any member thereof, and the municipal council of the city of Calgary, or any member thereof, regarding the conserving of the water flow of the Elbow river above the intake established by the said city in connection with their water works system.-Mr. McCarthy. Return showing how many appointments have been made by the government from the constituency of South Grey since 1901, their names, to what positions appointed, and the salary or remuneration in each case.-Mr. Blain. Copy of all correspondence, reports, letters, telegrams and other documents, exchanged between the Right Reverend George Holmes, DD., of Lesser Slave Lake, or any one on his behalf, and the Minister of the Interior, or any official or temporary employee of the government, in reference to the issue or application of half-breed scrip.-Mr. Ames.

MUNICIPAL OFFICES AND CIVIL SERVANTS.

CON

Robert Laird Borden (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BORDEN (Halifax).

Before the notices of motion are called, I would like to mention that at some early date I propose to inquire as to what is the rule in the several departments respecting the holding of municipal offices by government employees, and I give notice now so that the government may be prepared to give information. My object is to ascertain what is the practice in each department, and the reason I bring this up is that in my own constituency, a man, who has a salary of $150 as preventive officer, out of which he has to provide his own office, fuel and lighting, and whose official duties take up very little of his time, was elected to the municipal council of the county of Halifax, and was obliged, under an order in council, to resign either that office or his office in the Customs Department. He knew nothing about any such practice previously, but some one made a report to the department, and the department called on him to resign either his office in the customs, or his position as municipal councillor. I am not criticising, but I am simply suggesting that there ought to be some uniform practice followed, because in the city of Ottawa I understand that there are three members of the city council who are employees of this government drawing salaries which recompense them for the whole of their time. There ought to be a distinct, uniform practice applicable to all the departments, although I recognize that perhaps in some respects one department may afford ground for some distinction on special considerations not applicable to others.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   MUNICIPAL OFFICES AND CIVIL SERVANTS.

Wilfrid Laurier (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Sir WILFRID LAURIER.

I am much surprised at the action taken to which my hon. friend has referred. I know there is a rule that all officers who receive emolu-

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   MUNICIPAL OFFICES AND CIVIL SERVANTS.

Louis-Philippe Brodeur (Minister of the Naval Service; Minister of Marine and Fisheries)

Mr. BRODEUR.

ments of more than $1,000, and who collect revenue should not take any other office. The subject is one well worth looking into.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   MUNICIPAL OFFICES AND CIVIL SERVANTS.

THE HAGUE TRIBUNAL.

CON

Robert Laird Borden (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BORDEN (Halifax).

I do not know whether the right hon. the Prime Minister has any statement to make on the matter I mentioned yesterday. Perhaps it will have to be deferred to another day.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   THE HAGUE TRIBUNAL.

Wilfrid Laurier (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Sir WILFRID LAURIER.

It will have to stand for one day.

THE PORTSMOUTH PENITENTIARY. Mr. EDWARDS. I would like to call attention to an editorial in the Kingston " Standard.'

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   THE HAGUE TRIBUNAL.

James Kirkpatrick Kerr (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER.

The hon. gentleman [DOT]cannot on notice of motion without the consent of the House.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   THE HAGUE TRIBUNAL.

Wilfrid Laurier (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Sir WILFRID LAURIER.

Go on.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   THE HAGUE TRIBUNAL.

William Cameron Edwards

Mr. EDWARDS.

I must thank the House for giving me this privilege. I think the matter I am about to bring up is one of importance, not only to the people of Ontario, but to the people of every province, inasmuch as it affects the good name of this *country on the other side of the line. The article referred to calls attention to the fact that a prisoner liberated from the Portsmouth penitentiary and deported by order of this government to the United States, was taken to Ogdensburg by the government agent, taken across the line there and given his liberty without a cent of money in his pocket and without any overcoat or warm clothing of any kind. I have taken the trouble to make some inquiries, and I find this is not an isolated ease. A few days later, when the thermometer registered 10 below zero, another prisoner was liberated and sent out of jail without even an overcoat. When a man has finished his sentence and is liberated, we take it for granted that he intends to lead a better life, but to send him out in that manner is making it almost impossible for him to do better. The immigration agent advised this man, when he got to Ogdensburg, to go to the mayor, tell him he was an exconvict just liberated from Portsmouth penitentiary, and that he had no money and insufficient clothing for that kind of weather, and to ask for lodging and food. To set a man at liberty at this season of the year, and then advise him to go and brand himself as an ex-convict does seem to me to be inhuman in every sense. This is a matter, I am sure, that the government would not wish to see repeated, and I call attention to it in the hope that nothing of the kind will occur again.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   THE HAGUE TRIBUNAL.

Allen Bristol Aylesworth (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Sir ALLEN AYLESWORTH (Minister of Justice).

The circumstance to which the hon. member (Mr. Edwards) has referred, was brought to my attention by receiving through the post a copy of a newspaper in which the facts were stated and editorial opinion expressed. At once the warden of the penitentiary was communicated with and asked for a statement as to the facts of the case. The first mention of the matter in the newspaper took place, I think, on Saturday of last week, though it was referred to again on Monday of this week, and the first knowledge of the circumstances in Ottawa was. on Monday or Tuesday of this week. So, the report of the warden of the penitentiary has not yet reached me. I, therefore, am not able to say anything with authority in regard to the circumstances. I should like, however, to point out to the House that, so far as the deporting of this man, or any man, from Canada, is concerned, the administration of our statute in that regard is, of course, in the hands of the immigration authorities. The circumstance that any one coming into this country from another country has, within a limited time after reaching this country, become an inmate of a prison is, in itself, ground for ordering his deportation as soon as his sentence of imprisonment may have expired. And, so far as the deportation to his home country of such a man is concerned, the penitentiaries administration has nothing to do with it. The prisoner serves his time, and when his sentence has expired he is released, and, if he is at that time liable to be deported by reason of having offended against the laws of Canada, the immigration department, by its officials, takes charge of the man and sees to his deportation, exactly as would have been done at an earlier stage if he had never been in prison at all. So that, so far as the deportation of this particular man is concerned, the authorities of the penitentiaries, as distinguished from the authorities of the Immigration Department, are not responsible.

And, in regard to the circumstances under which any prisoner in the penitentiary whose sentence has expired is liberated, our Penitentiaries Act governs, and I have no idea that in this case it will be found that there has been any transgression by the warden or other officials of the penitentiary of the provisions of our general law. It may be that our Penitentiaries Act, in speaking generally of the amount of money and the amount of clothing which shall be given to any prisoner upon his discharge has not taken into consideration the differences in temperature between discharge in midwinter and discharge in midsummer. It may be that special provision ought rto be made for the issuing of a larger amount of clothing to a prisoner whose sentence expires in midwinter; but it is, of course, apparent that it is im-

possible to regulate beforehand what the necessities of any particular case may be, because it is within the knowledge of all of us that there may happen, and often does happen to be, even in the month of January and in the depth of our winter, a day, a week, or even a longer period, during whiph the absence 'of the heavier clothing would not be felt by the discharged convict.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   THE HAGUE TRIBUNAL.

DUTIES ON AGRICULTURAL IMPLEMENTS.

CON

Arthur Meighen

Mr. ARTHUR MEIGHEN (Portage la Prairie) moved:

That in the opinion of this House, a substantial reduction in the import duties on agricultural implements is now due the agriculturists of Canada, and is in just accord with the true ends of a protective tariff.

He said: The subject launched in the resolution which I now have the honour to move, occupies a position of supreme importance in the commercial life of this country. For close upon a third of a century, the basic principle which should govern our fiscal system and the application of that principle to the details of our importations has been canvassed more thoroughly than has any other subject in the political history of Canada. Throughout that time, the party with which I am now associated has planted its faith on those foundations of economic belief laid down by the founder of the party himself and now recognized as the fiscal system known as the national policy. To that fiscal system, the party to which I have the honour to belong has, in my humble belief, consistently throughout all these years adhered; and to that fiscal system, fully stated-to the national policy, I say, fully stated, stated in the language of Sir John Macdonald himself and repeated in the words of his successors, and illustrated by the practices of his successors, to that policy, stated wholly and not partially-I am still proud to adhere. What has been the course of the party now in office, and what has been their fiscal theory, I shall not trust myself at present to discuss. But you will agree with me, Mr. Speaker, from the occurrences, particularly of the last feVv months, that no argument will appeal at this time, to either side of the House that has not its footing in a sane and reasonable protective policy. I say that because, in my humble belief, there is no member on either side of the House to-day who would not be compelled to acknowledge, to himself at least, that, under the conditions that now obtain on this continent, a sane and reasonable protective policy is the

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   DUTIES ON AGRICULTURAL IMPLEMENTS.

January 18, 1911