December 7, 1910

Louis-Philippe Brodeur (Minister of the Naval Service; Minister of Marine and Fisheries)

Mr. BRODEUR.

I thought from what my hon. friend said that he felt "aggrieved at what Commanded Roper had said. It is but perfect justice to Commander Roper to state that he had been very severely attacked by mv hon. friend in an article which he signed.

Subtopic:   EMPLOYEES IN THE NAVAL SERVICE.
CON

Frederick Debartzch Monk

Mr. MONK.

My hon. friend is quite mistaken; I never made any allusion to him at all, did not know him. I stated that my hon. friend was ill-advised in the choice of his advisers.

Mr. BRODEUR.

My hon. friend thought it fit to attack the officers who have been in charge of the Canadian naval service, and the chief of the staff being Commander Roper, of course, that gentleman felt that those attacks were mainly directed against himself. Commander Roper, I may say, was occupying an important position in Great Britain. He has been there under Lord Charles Beresford for many years, and has proved a very good officer, so I was informed by the officers of the ad-mirality who agreed to loan his services to the Canadian government. When we required an officer to replace Commander Stewart, as chief of the naval staff, the name of Commander Roper was suggested as being an officer who would be loaned to us and who would be a very capable officer and having given very complete satisfaction. This gentleman, I may say to his credit, as soon as he came out to this country, he undertook the important task of advising the government as to how best the organization could be - effected in connection with the Canadian naval service. He has proved to be a very good officer so far. I have never seen anything which could be reproached to him

Subtopic:   EMPLOYEES IN THE NAVAL SERVICE.
CON

Frederick Debartzch Monk

Mr. MONK.

in connection with the discharge of his official duties. My hon. friend is perhaps, a little to blame. He wants to throw the whole blame upon Commander Roper, but he should take to himself also a very large share of the blame for the occurrence which he has spoken of. Here are men who come out to this country, whose services are loaned to us by the British Admiralty, for the purpose of giving us advice as to the best way of organizing the service, and my hon. friend thinks it advisable to attack them.

Subtopic:   EMPLOYEES IN THE NAVAL SERVICE.
CON

Frederick Debartzch Monk

Mr. MONK.

My hon. friend must really retract that word. I never attacked any officer, and I believe that when I wrote that article, Commander Roper had not arrived in this country. Any way, I mentioned no name. Why does my hon. friend persist in saying that I attacked him?

Mr. BRODEUR.

If the word ' attacked ' is too strong, then I will say that he has cast some reflections upon the technical officers of the department. I think he will not deny that. I have not the article under my * hand, but my hon. friend very likely has a copy of it before him, and he must remember that he was rather severe towards this officer.

Subtopic:   EMPLOYEES IN THE NAVAL SERVICE.
CON

Frederick Debartzch Monk

Mr. MONK.

I deny it totally. I attacked my hon. friend.

L-C

Samuel Hughes

Liberal-Conservative

Mr. HUGHES.

Was Commander Roper authorized by the minister to make the statements he did?

Mr. BRODEUR.

I could not authorize

those statements because I did not see them before they were made. I simply want to sate the facts in justice to Commander Roper because he has been publicly censured, and I think it would be only fair to him, to put all the facts before the country. I have now in my hand the article published by my hon. friend. It is entitled:

Are we baffled?

This is what my hon. friend says:

Mr. McKenna has the assistance of the advices of the ' Sea Lords,' four valuable experts who advise him in the direction of the vast department which he presides. Mr. Brodeur seems to lack greatly of wise councillors.

Subtopic:   EMPLOYEES IN THE NAVAL SERVICE.
CON

Frederick Debartzch Monk

Mr. MONK.

Hear, hear.

Mr. BRODEUR.

I do not think that is a very polite word to be used toward those officers who come out here and give us their time and advice.

Subtopic:   EMPLOYEES IN THE NAVAL SERVICE.
CON

George Eulas Foster

Mr. FOSTER.

Translate it into English, please.

Mr. BRODEUR.

I think I have a translation which is better than my own translation.

Mr FOSTER.

We will take the minister's translation.

Mr. BRODEUR.

I am afraid my English is not very good and my translation may not be too good. The hon. gentleman (Mr. Monk) started in his article to .make a comparison between the First Lord of the Admirality and myself, and he says:-

Mr. McKenna is assisted by a council called the sea lords, four scientific experts who advise him in the conduct of this great department over which he presides. Mr. Brodeur on the other hand seems to be very meagrely supplied with wise advisers.

I think the words in French were a little harder than the words I have just given in English. But there is also another reference to my hon. friend where he gives some figures which show that those who are advising me do- not seem to know very much about their business.

Subtopic:   EMPLOYEES IN THE NAVAL SERVICE.
CON

Frederick Debartzch Monk

Mr. MONK.

Hear, hear.

Mr. BRODEUR.

My hon. friend goes on to speak of the improved Bristols. Here is another quotation:-

What were these alterations or improvements? What were their objects? What was the improved Bristol?

Mr. Brodeur did not care, nor then, neither later. His counsel did not care, neither.

I think that is a somewhat serious reflection.

Subtopic:   EMPLOYEES IN THE NAVAL SERVICE.
CON

George Eulas Foster

Mr. FOSTER.

What is the translation of that, please?

Mr. BRODEUR.

My hon. friend is giving me a great deal of work.

Subtopic:   EMPLOYEES IN THE NAVAL SERVICE.
CON

George Eulas Foster

Mr. FOSTER.

Well, the minister is paid for it.

December 7, 1910