April 20, 1910

William Stevens Fielding (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. FIELDING.

But he is assailing another member.

Topic:   QUESTION OF PRIVILEGE-ST PETER'S INDIAN RESERVE.
CON

George Henry Bradbury

Mr. BRADBURY.

I have no desire to infringe on the rules of the House. But the Minister of the Interior (Air. Oliver) criticised the statement I made the other night in language which calls for some explanation from myself. He characterized my statement thu3 :

May I add my humble appreciation by say-mg that I believe never, since this chamber was erected, has there been delivered in its walls such a persistent and sustained tirade oi unwarranted assertion, of unwarranted insinuation, a tirade that, in its gratuitous inexactitude, is an offence against the privilege of parliament [DOT] and an insult to its intelligence.

Now' I hold that, as a member of this House, I have some rights here. I have a right to justify what I said in the House.

Topic:   QUESTION OF PRIVILEGE-ST PETER'S INDIAN RESERVE.

William Stevens Fielding (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. FIELDING.

With the hon. mem-er's permission, I would respectfully suggest that he is endeavouring to justify himself in a matter arising out of a previous debate. Unless there is some thing in which he has been misrepresented or something of that kind-

Some hon. AIEAIBERS. Oh, oil.

Topic:   QUESTION OF PRIVILEGE-ST PETER'S INDIAN RESERVE.

William Stevens Fielding (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Air. FIELDING.

No, the hon. member has not a right to proceed in this way on a question of privilege. His statement must be confined to a personal explanation. The hon. member must see that his speech will challenge a reply-

CON

William Stevens Fielding (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Air. FIELDING.

Then the hon. member wants to have it one-sided. Unless that is his wish, I have only to point out that

what he says is likely to challenge a reply, and so we lose the order of the House.

Topic:   QUESTION OF PRIVILEGE-ST PETER'S INDIAN RESERVE.
CON

George Henry Bradbury

Mr. BRADBURY.

I am simply making a statement correcting what the minister (Mr. Oliver) said in. regard, to the statement I made before. He said that when I stated that the chief and councilmen had received more land than they were entitled to, I stated that which was not in accord with the facts. I have laid before this House this return which is sworn to by the Indian agent, which is absolutely correct and proves the correctness of my statement and the incorrectness of the minister's "explanation.

Topic:   QUESTION OF PRIVILEGE-ST PETER'S INDIAN RESERVE.

Sydney Arthur Fisher (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. FISHER.

If I may be permitted to interrupt, the hon. member (Mr. Bradbury) says he has a right on a question of privilege to justify a statement he made in a former debate. I ask your ruling, Mr. Speaker, on the question whether the hon. member can do that on a question of privilege. As I understand it, he has a right to correct a statement of his own or to make a personal explanation, but not to justify his former argument. The hon. leader of the opposition (Mr. R. L. Borden) has pointed out that the hon. member for Selkirk will have an opportunity, on going into supply, to bring up this question. That is perfectly right. And the only objection to his bringing it up now is that he _ is violating the rules of the House and indulging in a procedure which has been, I regret to say, somewhat abused.

Topic:   QUESTION OF PRIVILEGE-ST PETER'S INDIAN RESERVE.
CON

John Allister Currie

Mr. J. A. CURRIE.

The hon. member has risen-

Some hon. MEMBERS

Order.

Topic:   QUESTION OF PRIVILEGE-ST PETER'S INDIAN RESERVE.

James Kirkpatrick Kerr (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER.

The hon. Minister of Agriculture (Mr Fisher) has the floor.

Topic:   QUESTION OF PRIVILEGE-ST PETER'S INDIAN RESERVE.
CON

John Allister Currie

Mr. J. A. CURRIE.

I rise to a point of order.

Some hon. MEMBERS

Order, order.

Topic:   QUESTION OF PRIVILEGE-ST PETER'S INDIAN RESERVE.
CON

John Allister Currie

Mr. J. A. CURRIE.

I am speaking on the question of order.

Topic:   QUESTION OF PRIVILEGE-ST PETER'S INDIAN RESERVE.

Sydney Arthur Fisher (Minister of Agriculture)

Air. FISHER.

The hon. member for North Simcoe (Mr. J. A. Currie) desires to interrupt me, but I claim to be heard as I have the floor.

Topic:   QUESTION OF PRIVILEGE-ST PETER'S INDIAN RESERVE.
CON

John Allister Currie

Air. J. A. CURRIE.

Mr. Speaker, the hon. member (Air. Fisher) cannot speak on a question of privilege for the hon. member for Selkirk (Air. Bradbury) has the floor on that question. He (Mr. Fisher) can only speak on a point of order. That is my point of order.

Some hon. AIEAIBERS. Order, order.

Topic:   QUESTION OF PRIVILEGE-ST PETER'S INDIAN RESERVE.
CON

Robert Laird Borden (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Air. R. L. BORDEN.

The hon. member for North Simcoe rose to a point of order. The Alinister of Agriculture should have taken his seat at once.

Topic:   QUESTION OF PRIVILEGE-ST PETER'S INDIAN RESERVE.

Sydney Arthur Fisher (Minister of Agriculture)

Air. FISHER.

If Air. Speaker says I am out of order, I will sit down.

Topic:   QUESTION OF PRIVILEGE-ST PETER'S INDIAN RESERVE.

James Kirkpatrick Kerr (Speaker of the Senate)

Air. SPEAKER.

If hon. members will permit me, I would suggest that the hon. member for Selkirk (Air. Bradbury) ought to confine himself to a personal explanation. If he is anxious to carry the matter further, he can do so when we go into supply. I think that is the sense of the House.

Topic:   QUESTION OF PRIVILEGE-ST PETER'S INDIAN RESERVE.
CON

George Henry Bradbury

Air. BRADBURY.

I desire to fall in with the suggestion of the Chair, having no wish to violate the rules of the House. But at present I merely wish to clear myself of the charge made by the minister-

Air. CONA1EE. And reopen the debate.

April 20, 1910