March 16, 1910

CON

John Dowsley Reid

Mr. J. D. REID.

If you did not I would not hesitate to say you did not know your business. In the Gaspereau case the engineer certified 20 cents a yard a fair price, and it would seem as if the minister did not know his business when he let the contract at 90 cents a yard.

Topic:   SUPPLY.

William Pugsley (Minister of Public Works)

Mr. PUGSLEY.

The engineer and two other experienced men said it was worth 90 cents.

Topic:   SUPPLY.
CON

John Dowsley Reid

Mr. J. D. REID.

Certainly, because he knew if he did not certify he would be out of his job the next morning. The minister knows that all he has to do is to give these men a hint; of course, he would not say it openly: in this case he would say: John E. Moore is going to buy the St. John 'Telegraph,' and if you don't certify to that you will be out of a job the next day.

Topic:   SUPPLY.
CON

John Dowsley Reid

Mr. J. D. REID.

I don't suppose you would say it, but you could give him a hint.

CON
CON

John Dowsley Reid

Mr. J. D. REID.

I would be sorry to call myself a Liberal and support a minister who does that kind of thing. If the hon. member (Mr. Turcotte) thinks that right I hope he will always remain a Liberal and never come over to this side of the House. I must admit that the Minister of Public Works is a pretty good sinner, but he has some other confreres just as bad in the other departments. So far as these contracts are concerned, I will protest as hard as I can to prevent the public beine robbed.

Topic:   SUPPLY.

William Pugsley (Minister of Public Works)

Mr. PUGSLEY.

I do not complain of the hon. gentleman bringing the matter up to-night, but when the report of the Public Accounts Committee Is submitted I shall welcome in the strongest way the very fullest discussion into these dredging matters. If there has been any remissness on the part of myself or any official of the department I shall be very glad to have it pointed out. I have endeavoured to do the very best possible in connection with all these contracts.

Mr. GEORGE 'TAYLOR. If this item is going to be discussed let it stand.

Topic:   SUPPLY.
CON

John Dowsley Reid

Mr. J. D. REID.

I will not let any of

these items through without proper discussion.

Topic:   SUPPLY.
CON

George Taylor

Mr. GEORGE TAYLOR.

Then let it stand. We are anxious to get the money voted and the Supply Bill assented to before the Senate adjourns so that the Civil Servants may be paid.

Topic:   SUPPLY.

William Pugsley (Minister of Public Works)

Mr. PUGSLEY.

Let the item stand.

Telegraph lines, British Columbia, $9,000.

Topic:   SUPPLY.
CON

Arthur Samuel Goodeve

Mr. GOODEVE.

Is there anything in this estimate for telephone lines on the Arrow lakes?

CON

William Pugsley (Minister of Public Works)

Mr. PUGSLEY.

I will maxe a note of it and give the information on the main estimates.

Topic:   SUPPLY.
CON

George Henry Barnard

Mr. BARNARD.

Has the minister had an application for the extension of government telegraph lines to Stewart?

Topic:   SUPPLY.

William Pugsley (Minister of Public Works)

Mr. PUGSLEY.

Yes. We are considering the question of either extending the line from Fort Simpson to Stewart or building a branch across from the mainland. There are difficulties in the way. It is possible we may establish one or two wireless stations,- which would be considerably cheaper. I intend to ask my colleagues for an appropriation in the supplementary estimates for establishing that connection.

March 16, 1910