March 7, 1910

DUTY ON FISH.

CON

Clarence Jameson

Mr. JAMESON.

I wish to call attention to the following despatch which appears in the Ottawa ' Citizen,' under date of March 5:

A rather interesting state of affairs, showing the working of the tariff on fish as between the United States and Canada, is reported from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. CitL zens of the town are now importing fish from Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. These fish were caught in Canadian waters last season by the Dominion Fish Company, a branch of the so-called Booth Fish trust, and put into cold storage by the A. Booth Company at the Michigan Soo.

A quarter of a cent per pound duty is paid on Canadian fish entering the United States and one cent per pound on fish coming from the United States into Canada. The unique part of the transaction is that Canadian con-Mr. PUGSLEY.

sumers at the Soo are paying one and one-quarter cents per pound in duties on fish caught in their own waters.

The duty on Canadian fresh fish going into the United States is not a quarter of a cent as stated, but one cent per pound, but owing to some elasticity in the regulations or in the consciences of those responsible for their enforcements, this duty is not, I am informed, imposed on Canadian fish which are purchased in Canada by Americans and imported into the United States in American bottoms. I wish to ask if the government' are aware of this alleged condition of affairs, if they recognize it as a serious condition and what, if any, measures they propose to take to remedy it?

Topic:   DUTY ON FISH.

Wilfrid Laurier (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Sir WILFRID LAURIER.

The attention of the government has not been called to this matter, but I shall have it looked into. On first blush I see nothing extraordinary in it. If fish caught in Canadian waters is imported into the United States it pays duty, and then if it comes back to Canada it had to pay duty. If that is the extent of the trouble I do not know that there is anything wrong, but I will have the matter looked into.

Topic:   DUTY ON FISH.

INQUIRIES FOR RETURNS.

CON

Joseph Elijah Armstrong

Mr. ARMSTRONG.

I wish to inquire about two returns, one ordered on December 15, with reference to the appointment of a government weigher at Montreal, and the other of November 24, showing the total amounts paid for printing and advertising.

Topic:   INQUIRIES FOR RETURNS.

Wilfrid Laurier (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Sir WILFRID LAURIER.

If my hon. friend (Mr. Armstrong) will send a note of these returns, I will have the matter looked into.

Topic:   INQUIRIES FOR RETURNS.
CON

John Stanfield

Mr. STANFIELD.

I desire to ask the Minister of Railways and Canals (Mr. Graham) when I may expect the return moved fod on November 22, with regard to passes on the Intercolonial Railway?

Topic:   INQUIRIES FOR RETURNS.

George Perry Graham (Minister of Railways and Canals)

Mr. GRAHAM.

I thought the return had been brought down. I will make a note of it and will have the matter looked into.

Topic:   INQUIRIES FOR RETURNS.

EXPORT OF HORSES FROM ONTARIO TO WESTERN CANADA.

CON

Glenlyon Campbell

Mr. CAMPBELL.

I desire to ask the Minister of Agriculture (Mr. Fisher) what has been done with reference to disinfecting the stock yards at the feeding points between here and Manitoba. I understood the minister to say that he would attend to it at once. I am informed that nothing has been done so far. I would like to know what the Department of Agriculture is for, if it is not to serve the interests of the farmers in such matters as this? i-

Topic:   EXPORT OF HORSES FROM ONTARIO TO WESTERN CANADA.

Sydney Arthur Fisher (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. FISHER.

Immediately after the hon. member's (Mr. Campbell's) remarks on the subject, I spoke to the director general of health on the subject. He said that the question was before him and) would See to it that all necessary precautions were taken. I have not asked him further about it, but I think probably that everything has been done.

Topic:   EXPORT OF HORSES FROM ONTARIO TO WESTERN CANADA.
CON

Glenlyon Campbell

Mr. CAMPBELL.

I may tell the minister that nothing has been done up to date with reference to disinfecting the yards at feeding points between here and Manitoba. It ought to be done at once.

Topic:   EXPORT OF HORSES FROM ONTARIO TO WESTERN CANADA.

ALIEN LABOUR LAW-ALLEGED INFRACTION.

CON

William Thoburn

Mr. THOBURN.

I desire to dTaw the attention of the House and of the minister to whose department the matter pertains, to an item which appears in the 'Central' Canadian' published in Carleton Place in the county I have the honour to represent :

Twelve men took breakfast at the Queen's hotel on Tuesday morning. They were all bound from Buffalo to Braeside to build a steamer for the river traffic.

Topic:   ALIEN LABOUR LAW-ALLEGED INFRACTION.

James Kirkpatrick Kerr (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER.

The hon. member can only put a question at this stage. Any other discussion will be out of order.

Topic:   ALIEN LABOUR LAW-ALLEGED INFRACTION.
CON

William Thoburn

Mr. THOBURN.

That is all I wish to do, Mr. Speaker. I wish to draw the attention of the House and of the minister to whose department this relates to the statement here made. This newspaper,, with the item marked, was sent to me by the Trades and Labour Council of Carleton Place. I wish that the minister would investigate this case. For it does seem to me hard that, at this season of the year, when a great many of our Canadian mechanics have been idle all winter-especially that class of workmen who are engaged in building ships-they should be deprived of their employment by a horde of mechanics coming in from the United States.

Topic:   ALIEN LABOUR LAW-ALLEGED INFRACTION.

William Stevens Fielding (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. FIELDING.

I had difficulty in understanding the purpose of the hon. member's (Mr. Thoburn's) question. What is the information he desires?

Topic:   ALIEN LABOUR LAW-ALLEGED INFRACTION.
CON

Robert Laird Borden (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. R. L. BORDEN.

He wants to know why the Alien Labour Act is not enforced.

Topic:   ALIEN LABOUR LAW-ALLEGED INFRACTION.
CON

William Thoburn

Mr. THOBURN.

A letter accompanies this newspaper in which the Trades and Labour Council /of Carleton Place ask that the minister should take action under the Alien Labour Law to prevent these men coming into the country. They want to know if it is the intention of the government to take any action in the matter.

Topic:   ALIEN LABOUR LAW-ALLEGED INFRACTION.

George Gerald King

Mr. KING.

If there has been a violation of the Alien Labour Act, it is open to any person to take action to have it enforced. Under the law, there is no need for the government to take action.

Topic:   ALIEN LABOUR LAW-ALLEGED INFRACTION.

March 7, 1910