February 17, 1910

William Pugsley (Minister of Public Works)

Mr. PUGSLEY.

Ye3, my hon. friend will find an identical case upon the western side of the harbour of St. John.

CON
CON
CON

Oswald Smith Crocket

Mr. CROCKET.

If this is the only instance that the Minister of Public Works can give it is one which does not help his case very much. I do not think it necessary to add anything to the statement 1 have made. The minister started out with the statement that he could not corroborate the statement which I had made, but before he concluded his speech, he himself absolutely corroborated the precise statement which I had made, viz.: that the wharf had not passed from the hands of the company to the Crown as alleged by the ' Globe '.

Topic:   QUESTION OF PRIVILEGE.

William Pugsley (Minister of Public Works)

Mr. PUGSLEY.

While the discussion may be somewhat out of order I presume the House will accord me the privilege of replying to the hon. member for York. I first desire to call your attention, Mr. Speaker, to the fact that the hon. member for York has not denied yet the statement

Topic:   QUESTION OF PRIVILEGE.
CON

Robert Laird Borden (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. R. L. BORDEN.

I presume we will have a general discussion on this subject?

Topic:   QUESTION OF PRIVILEGE.

William Stevens Fielding (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. FIELDING.

No, I cannot consent to that.

Topic:   QUESTION OF PRIVILEGE.
CON

Robert Laird Borden (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. R. L. BORDEN.

Well, if my hon. friend the Minister of Finance cannot consent to that it had better stop now.

Topic:   QUESTION OF PRIVILEGE.

William Stevens Fielding (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. FIELDING.

I think the discussion has rather wandered a little.

Topic:   QUESTION OF PRIVILEGE.
CON

Robert Laird Borden (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. R. L. BORDEN.

The Minister of Public Works had an opportunity of making a full statement. If the debate is going to continue it will have to be general.

Topic:   QUESTION OF PRIVILEGE.

William Pugsley (Minister of Public Works)

Mr. PUGSLEY.

I would appeal to the sense of fairnesa of hon. gentlemen opposite to_ allow me to make a brief reply, and for this reason that the hon. member for York did not confine himself to the statement in the Toronto ' Globe ', but went on with a general discussion.

Some hon. MEMBERS

Order, order.

Topic:   QUESTION OF PRIVILEGE.

James Kirkpatrick Kerr (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER.

Order. A question of privilege partakes of the nature of a per-

374b

sonal explanation. The Minister of Public Works having made his statement it was quite fair and within the rules that the hon. member for York should reply. The minister may be permitted to reply to the hon. member on the understanding that no new matter is to be introduced. Solely upon that ground perhaps the minister may be allowed to complete any explanation, but to bring any new matter would be irrelevant.

Topic:   QUESTION OF PRIVILEGE.

William Pugsley (Minister of Public Works)

Mr. PUGSLEY.

I will not introduce any new matter. I was calling attention to the fact that the hon. member for York has not denied the statement which was contained in the report of the Toronto 'Globe' that he had sought to lead members of this House to believe that the Department of Public Works had been expending money upon private property. In regard to the agreement of transfer-

Topic:   QUESTION OF PRIVILEGE.
CON

Robert Laird Borden (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. R. L. BORDEN.

If the minister will permit me to ask him a question: Is this an extension of a private wharf?

Topic:   QUESTION OF PRIVILEGE.

William Pugsley (Minister of Public Works)

Mr. PUGSLEY.

This is a wharf which is built at the end of the wharf which was owned

Some hon. MEMBERS

Oh, oh.

Mr. PUGSLEY

which was owned by

the Albert Manufacturing Company. I stated that in the city of St. John the government is building a wharf which you might call an extension of a wharf owned

Topic:   QUESTION OF PRIVILEGE.
CON

Robert Laird Borden (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. R. L. BORDEN.

I object to the minister going into that unless it is understood that this debate is going to be a general one.

February 17, 1910