May 17, 1909

NORTHWEST FISH COMPANY.

CON

Glenlyon Campbell

Mr. GLEN. CAMPBELL (Dauphin).

Before the orders of the day are called there is a matter I would like to bring to the attention of the Minister of Marine and Fisheries. In the territories northwest of Manitoba, leases of the lakes for a term of years have been granted to certain interests. Those leases, in some cases, have been transferred to an American company called the Northw-est Fish Company. No fisherman was allowed to fish unless he agreed to sell his catch to that American firm and he had to take from 1 cent to 1J cents less than the price he could get elsewhere.

I have here an affidavit from a gentleman who was a fisherman in those waters, and I wish to bring to the attention of

the government this affidavit which shows that he was not paid by this company for the fish he produced:

This is to certify that I, Isaac Bradbury, fished during the winter of 1907-8 in the waters that are covered by Captain E. D. Coffey and F. L. Merritt's leases in the Northwest Territory, and was forced to sell my catch by the government officials to the Northwest Fish Company, which is represented by Captain E. D. Coffey and F. L. Merritt, and that the Northwest Fish Company went into bankruptcy and owe me $810 from my winter's labour. And I make this solemn declaration knowing that it is of the same force and effect as if made under oath and by virtue of the Canada Evidence Act of 1903.

(Signed) ISAAC BRADBURY.

Declared before me at Winnepegosis, in the province of Manitoba, this 22nd day of April. 1909.

(Signed) George O. Bellamy.

I have taken the time to make this explanation so that the Minister of Marine (Mr. Brodeur) may be seized of the situation. I would like to know if there is any possibility of the government holding up the lease and preventing this company continuing its fishing operations unless it pays the men who produce the fish. This is only one case, but there are many cases of the same nature.

Topic:   NORTHWEST FISH COMPANY.

Louis-Philippe Brodeur (Minister of Marine and Fisheries)

Hon. L. P. BRODEUR (Minister of Marine and Fisheries).

I suppose my hon. friend (Mr Campbell) will be kind enough to let me have the affidavit he has read, for, I may inform him, a commission has been appointed to inquire into the whole question of fisheries in Manitoba and the Northwest, and I should be very glad to refer this affidavit to the commission for investigation. Some complaints reached the department some time ago that our officers were working in the interest of the fishing companies. I can hardly think that such a charge can be true, but, as the statement was made, I gave the commission instructions to investigate that point. I shall be glad to communicate to the commissioners at once the affidavit that my hon. friend has read.

Topic:   NORTHWEST FISH COMPANY.

PRIVILEGE-MR. GLEN CAMPBELL.

CON

Glenlyon Campbell

Mr. GLEN. CAMPBELL (Dauphin).

Mr. Speaker, I rise to a question of privilege. An article was published on May 4 in a newspaper, published in Manitoba, called the * Free Press.' It is a long article, too long for me to delay the House with reading. It refers to me personally in somewhat melodramatic terms. I feel that, perhaps, the reason this paper ascribes to me the character it does is that last fall, as this paper well knows, I took part in the timber wolf hunt and managed to bring in the scalp. However, there is no reason why they should, at this late day, show a

grudge against me on this account. I think it is due to myself to say that, since I have had the honour of a seat in this House, I have had the same motto that has guided me through life in my every day meeting with others, to show the courtesy that one gentleman should show to another; and I certainly have tried to act up to that motto in this House whether in the case of a page or of the Prime Minister. This article gives credit to a physician for having practically brought to an end my political life, at the same time I was under the care of a physician trying to extend my natural life as long as I could. But, not satisfied with that, this paper had to call in a horse doctor or ' vet.' to aid in that work. The charge is made in this paper that I had acknowledged that I was guilty of bribing some one in some department of this government. I want to say that any paper that makes that statement, or any hon. member, or any minister of the Crown, who makes that statement, makes a statement that is absolutely without any foundation. I think the hon. gentleman who is quoted on the subject, the Minister of the Interior (Mr. Oliver), never made the statement attributed to him, or if he did it was under a complete misapprehension. And I stand here to correct any misapprehension of that kind. The only thing concerning me that can be distorted to mean anything of the kind attributed to me by this paper is that when discussing on the public platform the Department of the Interior as it was before my friend (Mr. Oliver), who now manages it, had it in charge, I stated that things had got to such a stage in the management of that department that, even in the matter of a mere homestead, or other right that the law allowed the people, there was a holdup, that intermediaries had to be employed to negotiate for the people the granting of that which was their right under the law. I stated on the platform, and I have stated there, that I knew of a case, the case of the Brown-Bedingfield Company, in which application had been made for years for that which was the absolute right of the company under the law, and that they could not get their right, for some reason or other, until a mutual friend told them that there was a way to approach the government, that of employing intermediaries. And they had to take that way, and it cost them $2,000 to get what was their right under the Canadian law. That is what I have stated, and I state it now. This Brown-Bedingfield Company was composed of none but stockmen, men who had been in the country for over twenty years, whose business life absolutely depended on their getting a lease in a country which was fast being taken up by others who were obtaining leases under the same law under which these men ought to have been able to obtain theirs. Fault is found with

me by my oppnoent that I will not give information with, regard to the names of the men employed as intermediaries. That, Sir, is a matter of my own conscience and my loyalty to them,-for this reason that it is not the business of the people of Canada, at all, for no injustice was done to the people, the only injustice done being to the company. A greater reason why I could not mention the names of these intermediaries is the fact that one of them was a very good personal friend of my own, a Liberal member of this House and now dead. And many of the Liberals who now gibe at me on account of this matter know who these men were. They try to force my hand to make me do what I think would be disloyal to the memory of my friend. This paper refers to a so-called challenge made by the Minister of the Interior to me during my campaign. As I have already said, I believe that these statements were made by my friend the Minister of the Interior under a misconception. I do not think he would have said what he is reported to have said had he known the facts of the case. But I want to say this, that this challenge as reported was made to me at a point 1,200 miles away from where I was. and made during the height of a heated campaign, and I never saw it and knew nothing about it until long after. This article in the 'Free Press ' of May 4th also goes on to refer to me in terms very severe with regard to what I said about the Hon. Walter Scott, the premier of Saskatchewan. What I said about the Hon. Walter Scott stands, every word of it, because I know it is true, and as a proof of my veracity I will refer you, Mr. Speaker, to the Morning ' News 1 of Moosejaw, Saskatchewan, of the date October 8, 1908, an article headed ' Scott backs out ' :

The ' News ' received noti6cation yesterday that Premier Scott had withdrawn his suit against it to recover $25,000 for alleged libel. It will be remembered that the actions arose from a news item published in these columns during August, in which it was stated that there had been issued to the premier $10,000 worth of stock in the Saskatchewan Valley and Manitoba Land Company.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. GLEN CAMPBELL.

James Kirkpatrick Kerr (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER.

Is the hon. gentleman not entering on new ground in reading this article? This is not the question that is being debated now.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. GLEN CAMPBELL.
CON

Glenlyon Campbell

Mr. CAMPBELL.

I am on a question of privilege, speaking to this newspaper article.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. GLEN CAMPBELL.

James Kirkpatrick Kerr (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER.

But it is another newspaper article he is reading. The hon. gentleman complained of a different newspaper article.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. GLEN CAMPBELL.
CON

Glenlyon Campbell

Mr. CAMPBELL.

No, but because my veracity is questioned I want to establish it before this House by reading this article.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. GLEN CAMPBELL.

James Kirkpatrick Kerr (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER.

By reading another newspaper article. That would be a new discussion.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. GLEN CAMPBELL.
CON

James Kirkpatrick Kerr (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER.

The hon. gentleman must limit himself to the article that he complains of.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. GLEN CAMPBELL.
CON

Glenlyon Campbell

Mr. CAMPBELL.

Well, if I am not permitted to read it-it is much better written than I could describe it. This article goes on to say-and I refer any hon. gentleman to it who wishes to see it-that instead of the newspaper withdrawing the charge, which was practically identical to the charge that I made, it was, the premier, Mr. Scott, himself, who withdrew from the charge by *withdrawing his suit for defamation of his character, when he was haled before the courts to give evidence in the matter. He withdrew the charge himself, the newspaper did not, and that is the point I wish to bring to the attention of the House. Another article that would be amusing reading for some of the hon. members, appears in the same paper, the Moosejaw 'News,' on the 4th day of this month. I regret taking up the time of the House at this late date in the session, and I also regret that I did not bring it up earlier but could not owing to physical disabilities.

Topic:   PRIVILEGE-MR. GLEN CAMPBELL.

EXPORTATION OF AMERICAN SILVER.

John Gillanders Turriff

Mr. J. G. TURRIFF (Assiniboia).

Before you leave the Chair, I would like to ask a question of the hon. the Minister of Finance with reference to getting rid of American silver coinage in Canada. Some time ago an effort was made to that end by giving the banks a small bonus, a small percentage to gather up the American coinage and ship it back to the United States. In the United States they gather our silver coinage and send it back to us, they do not allow it to circulate there. I understand that if the American silver was got rid of in Canada, we would make a profit of somewhere about half a millionk dollars, at the present prices of silver, in coining. Canadian silver and putting it into circulation. I would ask the Minister of Finance if any steps are being taken, or proposed to be taken, to get rid of this American silver.

Topic:   EXPORTATION OF AMERICAN SILVER.

William Stevens Fielding (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Hon. W. S. FIELDING (Minister of Finance).

We have an appropriation for the purpose of repeating the operation of several years ago to which my hon. friend has referred. At this moment I am in negotiation with the banks with a view of making an arrangement, which I trust will be completed in a few days.

Topic:   EXPORTATION OF AMERICAN SILVER.
L-C

Samuel Hughes

Liberal-Conservative

Mr. HUGHES.

Is the minister going to keep American silver out?

Topic:   EXPORTATION OF AMERICAN SILVER.
CON

William Stevens Fielding (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. FIELDING.

How would my hon. friend keep it out? If an American comes into Canada with $50 of silver in his pocket, will you keep him out?

Topic:   EXPORTATION OF AMERICAN SILVER.

VENTILATION AND FIRE ESCAPE IN NEW WING.

May 17, 1909