May 3, 1909

APPOINTMENT OF SPECIAL COMMITTEE.

On the orders of the day being called.

Wilfrid Laurier (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Sir WILFRID LAURIER.

I beg to move:

That a special committee of five members be appointed, composed of Messrs. Guthrie, Sproule, McIntyre (Perth), Haggart (Lanark), and Ethier, to consider the recommendations contained in the fourteenth report of the Select Standing Committee on Railways, Canals and Telegraph Lines, to amend rule 87 and 88 of this House, and that the said report be referred to the said committee.

The suggestions made by the Railway Committee are somewhat technical, referring to the practice on private Bills. They call for an amendment to the rules, and I think it better to have them considered by a special committee.

Topic:   APPOINTMENT OF SPECIAL COMMITTEE.

Motion agreed to.

TERM OF OFFICE OF HIS EXCELLENCY THE GOVERNOR GENERAL.

Wilfrid Laurier (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Sir WILFRID LAURIER.

As we approach the end of the session I have been asked by a number of hon. gentlemen if it was not the intention to have parliament pass an address to His Excellency Earl Grey and Her Excellency Countess Grey in recognition of their services to Canada and the manner in which they have discharged their official duties. I am happy to say there is no occasion for such an address because the term of His Excellency as Governor General will not come to an end this year.

Topic:   TERM OF OFFICE OF HIS EXCELLENCY THE GOVERNOR GENERAL.

WESTERN COAL STRIKE.

Mr. McCarthy. I desire to call the attention of the government, and particularly of the Minister of Labour, to the serious conditions which are being created in the west by reason of the coal strike. I would refer him to an article in the Lethbridge ' Daily Herald.'

James Kirkpatrick Kerr (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER.

The hon. member can only put a question at this stage.

Topic:   WESTERN COAL STRIKE.
CON

Maitland Stewart McCarthy

Mr. McCARTHY.

I shall simply read this article and ask a question of the minister. The article is as follows:

The closing of the Taber mines brings Alberta face to face with a practical tie-up of every domestic coal-producing mine in the southern part of the province. If the situation is allowed to continue without any effort at settlement, Lethbridge and Alberta will be hit hard. Industries may be compelled to Sir WILFRID LAURIER.

close down for lack of coal and citizens will not be able to secure fuel except at famine prices. Farming operations will be given a serious setback, as the absence of a supply of cheap fuel will put the steam ploughs out of commission, and thousands of acres of land that would have been broken will be left untouched. .

The Minister of Labour ought to get his Conciliation Act into operation. It is his duty to see that its provisions are enforced. If he allows the Act to become a dead letter in this trouble, he might as well expect it to be a deadTetter for all time to come.

Has the minister seen this article and what does he intend to do to bring the Act into operation? I express no opinion on the merits of the claims of the operators and miners.

Topic:   WESTERN COAL STRIKE.

Rodolphe Lemieux (Minister of Labour; Postmaster General)

Hon. RODOLPHE LEMIEUX (Minister of Labour).

I have not read the article referred to. As to the situation in the west, the latest reports received by the Department of Labour are of a favourable nature. I communicated on Saturday to my friend the member for Leeds (Mr. G. Taylor) the statement sent me by the deputy minister, and I have nothing to take back from that statement. We expect that within a few days a board will be constituted and that there will be no necessity to prosecute those who have defied the law.

Topic:   WESTERN COAL STRIKE.
L-C

John Herron

Liberal-Conservative

Mr. HERRON.

I wish to add to what has been said by the hon. member for Calgary (Mr. McCarthy) that a serious condition has been created on the prairies owing to this strike. From the prairies come reports that coal is very short, that steam ploughs are without coal and that it is feared the seeding operations will be greatly delayed in consequence. I would urge the minister to make inquiries in regard to this serious situation.

Topic:   WESTERN COAL STRIKE.

PRIVATE BILLS.

ONTARIO AND MICHIGAN POWER COMPANY.

House again in committee on Bill (No. 34) to incorporate the Ontario and Michigan Power Company.-Mr. Conmee.

CON

Richard Blain

Mr. BLAIN.

Immediately after the discussion of this Bill in the House the other day I forwarded a copy of the original Bill -the correct copy together with the proposed amendments, to the Premier of Ontario. I have before me a letter acknowledging receipt and pointing out that this is a matter that ought not to be dealt with by this House but one coming within the exclusive jurisdiction of the Ontario legislature. The power question is very important in Ontario to-day; the development of power at Niagara and the outcome of the varied works now being undertaken are being watched with great interest by the people of the province. My hon. friend who

introduced the Bill is well aware that matters of this kind properly come within the jurisdiction of the legislature of Ontario as he has had similar measures before that body when a member of it. He is also familiar with the feelings of the people of the province upon matters of this kind. I am sure the people of Ontario will be very much disappointed if this charter is granted, and I will be surprised if the Ontario members of this Cabinet consent to legislation of this kind passing the House. I need not discuss the reasons for opposing this measure as they have been fully discussed in the committee both this session and last. It is true that the Bill has been greatly modified. Originally the Bill declared that this was a work for the general advantage of Canada but it is not now so wide in its scope. Still I do not think this House should interfere in this matter. There are no just provisions in the Bill that could not be dealt with and dealt with more effectively by the Ontario legislature. I think it the duty of the House and the committee to refuse my hon. friend's Bill. Of course I have no feeling against my hon. friend (Mr. Conmee) for introducing such a Bill, my only point being that it is purely a matter for the Ontario legislature and that it should be dealt with by them.

Topic:   PRIVATE BILLS.
Subtopic:   ONTARIO AND MICHIGAN POWER COMPANY.

James Conmee

Mr. CONMEE.

I have no doubt my hon. friend has the letter to which he refers, but I would point out to the committee that because the hon. gentleman has written a letter which has drawn an answer from the Premier of Ontario adverse to the Bill, that is no reason why this House should consider the matter from that standpoint.

Topic:   PRIVATE BILLS.
Subtopic:   ONTARIO AND MICHIGAN POWER COMPANY.
CON

Richard Blain

Mr. BLAIN.

My letter was a plain, simple letter without any comment

Topic:   PRIVATE BILLS.
Subtopic:   ONTARIO AND MICHIGAN POWER COMPANY.

James Conmee

Mr. CONMEE.

I have no doubt about that.

Mr. BLAIN

without any comment at

all, and I would be quite willing to have my hon. friend write the Premier of Ontario for a copy of the letter.

Topic:   PRIVATE BILLS.
Subtopic:   ONTARIO AND MICHIGAN POWER COMPANY.

James Conmee

Mr. CONMEE.

registrar of Port Arthur was purchased in 1856, when there was no regulation as to the area that might be taken, and this location is, I believe, about six miles square. This is the answer from Toronto:

Stewart patent dated September 13, 1856. No reservation at all except five per cent for roads. Conveyance includes land to water's edge. No chain reserve.

Topic:   PRIVATE BILLS.
Subtopic:   ONTARIO AND MICHIGAN POWER COMPANY.

May 3, 1909