Mr. FOSTER-by Mr. Geo. Taylor-asked:
1. (a) When was the dredge ' Industry' bought by the Department of Public Works; (b) at what price; (o) and out of what appropriation was payment made?
2. (a) Were any scows or parts purchased with or for the dredge?. If so, what were they; (b) from whom purchased; (c) at what price, (d) and out of what appropriation were the payments therefor made?
3. Were the dredge and scows in good order and fully equipped for work at the time of purchase?
4. If not, what addition and repairs, and at what cost in respect to the dredge and scows, respectively, have since been made or contracted for, and with whom?
5. (a) Where was the ' Industry ' when purchased; (b) and by what vessel was she taken to the place of repair, and from what place did this vessel start on her mission of transfer?
6. From whom was this last named vessel purchased, at what price, and whether by tender or otherwise?
7. (a) When; (b) and by whom was the ' Industry ' built; (c) where, (d) and in what kind of work had she been employed up to the time of her sale to the department; (e) and for what special district was she designed?
8. (a) On whose special and expert examination and report was the purchase made; (b) where is the dredge now; (c) when will she be ready for work; (d) and what then will be her total cost to the government?
9. Were tenders called or any offers made to the department for supplying dredges of the capacity required from builders or owners of dredges in connection with the above purchase? If so, who made the tenders or oners, and at what prices?
10. Will the Minister lay on the table of the House the order in council authorizing the purchase and also the reports of the examining experts on which the purchase was based?
11. Have any other dredges been purchased since the end of the last session of parliament by the Department of Public Works? If so, from whom, at what price, whether by tender or otherwise, on whose special report, and what additions and repairs made since, and at what cost?
12. Will the Minister lay on the table of the House the orders in council in each case, and the special report on which purchase was based ?