May 30, 1905

PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT IN THE NORTHWEST-DISCUSSION OF BILL.

On the Orders of the Day being called,

CON

Robert Laird Borden (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. R. L. BORDEN.

Mr. Speaker, before the Orders of the Day are called, I wish to ask the Minister of Finance, in the absence of the Prime Minister, when it is proposed to resume the discussion of the Bill establishing the new province of Alberta ? The Minister of Finance will perhaps remember that my hon. friend the Minister of Justice -who, I regret to learn, has been indisposed for a day or two-made a statement as to what, in his opinion, is the difference between clause 16 as originally inserted in these Autonomy Bills and the amended clause 16, which has not been discussed very much as yet, although it has been before the House for some time. Since the Minister of Justice made that statement-a very carefully considered statement which he read to the House-there has not been any opportunity, so far as I am concerned, to make any observations with regard to it, and if it would be convenient to the government I would like to speak on that question at as early a date as possible. In saying this, of course, I do not desire to put the Minister of Justice to any inconvenience if he is indisposed ; I merely mention it in order that my request ipay be conveyed to the Prime Minister and to the Minister of Justice. I am unable to discuss the question until the government brings the Bills on again.

Topic:   PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT IN THE NORTHWEST-DISCUSSION OF BILL.

William Stevens Fielding (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Hon. W. S. FIELDING (Minister of Finance).

A similar question was put to me at the adjournment last night. I then expected I would be able to see the Prime Minister this morning, so that I would be able to give an answer, but unfortunately lie has not been at his office. I .therefore do not feel at liberty to answer the question at present, but I will communicate with him, and my hon. friend will receive an intimation later. The absence of the Minister of Justice has an important bearing on the matter, and, as my hon. friend knows, he has been in very poor health.

GEORGIAN BAY ISLANDS-QUESTION OF PRIVILEGE. .

Mr. GEORGE I). GRANT. Mr. Speaker, before the Orders of the Day are called, I desire to speak on a question of privilege. On Thursday last, in my absence from the House and the city, the hon. member for East Simcoe (Mr. Bennett), during the discussion of the estimates of the Department of the Interior, made reference to the sale of an Island in the Georgian bay to Mr. Frederick W. Grant, and the suggestion was thrown out here and repeated in the public press that the purchaser of this island being my brother, I necessarily had something to do with the transaction. I desire, Mr. MAY 30, 1905

Speaker, in a very few words, but in language as explicit and as emphatic as is in my power to use, to say that my first knowledge of the transfer or sale of this island from the Department of the Interior to Mr. Frederick W. Grant was when I read of it in the Toronto press on Friday.

I in no way approached the Minister of the Interior, nor any person in his department, either by letter or by personal interview, and, so far as my recollection goes-and I think it is to be depended upon-I knew nothing of the matter whatever. As to the merits of the purchase and sale of the island, that is a matter as to which the Department of the Interior and the Minister of the Interior can well defend themselves.

Topic:   PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT IN THE NORTHWEST-DISCUSSION OF BILL.
CON

William Humphrey Bennett

Mr. W. H. BENNETT.

I did not exactly catch what the hon. gentleman (Mr. Grant) said at the outset of his remarks, but I rather gather that he stated that I had alleged that he interviewed the minister.

George Davidson Grant

Mr. GRANT.

Will the hon. gentleman pardon me interrupting him ? I said the suggestion was thrown out ; I read it from Unrevised ' Hansard,' page 6718.

Topic:   PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT IN THE NORTHWEST-DISCUSSION OF BILL.
CON

William Humphrey Bennett

Mr. BENNETT.

As to the suggestion, it is for the hon. gentleman to make his deduction from what I did say, and for the public too. I did not make the statement emphatically that the hon. gentleman had at all interfered in the matter, owing to the fact that I had not seen the correspondence. Had I seen the correspondence perhaps I might have made a similar statement to that which I made formerly in reference to the hon. gentleman in connection with another matter, after I had the advantage of seeing the correspondence. On that occasion I found out this, that the hon. gentleman had written a letter to the department alleging that of his own knowledge the timber on

Topic:   PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT IN THE NORTHWEST-DISCUSSION OF BILL.

William Stevens Fielding (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. FIEDDING.

Might I suggest to my hon. friend that we ought not to go in to another matter. This is a personal explanation on one matter and I do not think we should go into another matter.

Topic:   PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT IN THE NORTHWEST-DISCUSSION OF BILL.
CON

William Humphrey Bennett

Mr. BENNETT.

With a personal reflection on another member.

Topic:   PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT IN THE NORTHWEST-DISCUSSION OF BILL.

William Stevens Fielding (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. FIEDDING.

Topic:   PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT IN THE NORTHWEST-DISCUSSION OF BILL.
CON

William Humphrey Bennett

Mr. BENNETT.

And I am endeavouring to get away from that.

Topic:   PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT IN THE NORTHWEST-DISCUSSION OF BILL.

William Stevens Fielding (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. FIELDING.

There is no reflection.

Topic:   PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT IN THE NORTHWEST-DISCUSSION OF BILL.
CON

John Graham Haggart

Mr. HAGGART.

But this is on a motion for supply.

Topic:   PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT IN THE NORTHWEST-DISCUSSION OF BILL.

Robert Franklin Sutherland (Speaker of the House of Commons)

Mr. SPEAKER.

This is before the orders of the day ; there is no motion for supply.

Topic:   PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT IN THE NORTHWEST-DISCUSSION OF BILL.
CON

William Humphrey Bennett

Mr. BENNETT.

Then under these circumstances, the hon. gentleman having made what I may say is a personal attack on myself

Topic:   PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT IN THE NORTHWEST-DISCUSSION OF BILL.

William Stevens Fielding (Minister of Finance and Receiver General)

Mr. FIELDING.

No it is not.

Topic:   PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT IN THE NORTHWEST-DISCUSSION OF BILL.
CON

William Humphrey Bennett

Mr. BENNETT.

I have no doubt I have touched on a very ginger spot. The Minister of Finance has seen some very ginger spots lately and is always willing to jump to the rescue. I am quite willing to discuss this island matter where it is best known,* and I think that when the people there know all the circumstances they will think this is about as crooked-

Mr. FIELDING. Order.

Mr. BENNETT

as the timber deal on

Hope Island

Mr. SPEAKER. Order.

Mr. BENNETT

in which the hon. gentleman was mixed up.

SUPPLY-MANITOBA VOTERS' LISTS.

Hon. W. S.@

FIELDING (Minister of Finance) moved that the House go into Committee of Supply.

Topic:   SUPPLY-MANITOBA VOTERS' LISTS.

May 30, 1905