February 15, 1905

Rt. Hon. Sir WILFRID LAURIER (Prime Minister):

1. Yes.

2. Inspector of Dominion Land Agencies, *2,000 per annum.

3. January 1, 1905.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   EMPLOYMENT OF R. A. E. LEACH.

WORK IN INLAND HARBOURS.

L-C

Mr. SAM. HUGHES asked :

Liberal-Conservative

1. How much money has been spent by the

Dominion government since 1896, upon each of the following : (a) Port Arthur harbour ; (b) Fort William harbour ; (c) Kaministiquia

river ; classified into (1) dredging : (2) breakwaters ; (3) other purposes ?

2. What quantities of each of the following .are to be excavated during 1905-6 in each of the three locations above named ?

3. What' are the dates and terms of the contracts entered into with those engaged in dredging at the aforesaid points in 1903-4 and 1904-5?

4. Will the government lay the said contracts upon the table of this House ?

5. What are the horse-power, tonnage and dimensions of each of the dredges engaged in said work ?

6. What is the cost of dredges newly built, similar to those engaged at the above three points ?

to question 5. Take for instance the 5th section of the question.

What are the horse-power, tonnage and dimensions of each of the dredges engaged in said work 1

There is no information of that character in the department and the question would have to stand a considerable time before I would be able to get the information.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   WORK IN INLAND HARBOURS.
L-C

Samuel Hughes

Liberal-Conservative

Mr. SAM. HUGHES.

The Minister of Marine and Fisheries should be able to give that information.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   WORK IN INLAND HARBOURS.

Charles Smith Hyman (Minister Without Portfolio)

Mr. HYMAN.

It is the usual way where a question includes such a detailed answer as this, that the hon. gentleman should ask for a return.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   WORK IN INLAND HARBOURS.

YUKON ELECTION.

Rt. H@

In answer to a question that was asked yesterday by my hon. friend the leader of the opposition (Mr. R. L. Borden) with regard to the return of the results of the election in the Yukon Territory, I would say the only information that we have upon this subject is contained in the following telegrams which have been exchanged recently.

Dawson, Y. T., Feb. 8th, 1905.

R. W. Scott,

Secretary of State, Ottawa.

Alfred Thompson was declared elected yesterday by a majcrity of 618. My report with writ will be sent in a couple of days.

Subtopic:   YUKON ELECTION.

PIERRE LEDIEU,

Returning Officer. Another telegram reads : . Dawson, Y. T., Feb. 13th 1905. R. W. Scott, Ottawa, Ont. Was served to-day with writ of subpoena in a case of conspiracy ordering me to produce on the 1st of March the writ of election, the voters' lists, the poll books and all other election phpers. Shall I obey the order of the court or not ? Dr. Thompson is leaving for Ottawa on the 15th.

PIERRE LEDIEU,

Returning Officer. Hon. OHAiS. HYMAN (Acting Minister of Public Works). I must ask the hon. gentleman (Mr. Sam. Hughes) to move for a return for this information. It will be necessary to go over a considerable amount of correspondence and there is information .asked for which is not in the possession of the department.

L-C

Samuel Hughes

Liberal-Conservative

Mr. SAM. HUGHES.

I have asked the question and I insist that I am entitled to an answer. It is a very proper question and the information should all be available in the minister's own department. I want to know why he insists on a motion for return.

Subtopic:   PIERRE LEDIEU,

Charles Smith Hyman (Minister Without Portfolio)

Mr. HYMAN.

I must ask the hon. gen-teman to make a motion for the answer

The answer to this was as follows :

Ottawa, 14th Feb., 1904.

Pierre Ledieu.

Returning Officer, Dawson, Y. T.

If there has not been any demand for a recount under section ninety, Dominion Election Act, then your duty is to return the candidate-elect and conform to all the requirements of section ninety-two of the Act.

Subtopic:   PIERRE LEDIEU,

R. W. SCOTT.

CON

Robert Laird Borden (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. R. L. BORDEN.

I understood that some demand had been made upon the returning officer for an explanation of this very great delay in fixing a date for opening the ballot boxes and officially counting the ballots. The correspondence which has just been read by the Prime Minister does

not make any allusion to any such telegram to him or to his reply.

Subtopic:   R. W. SCOTT.

Wilfrid Laurier (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Sir WILFRID LAURIER.

I am sorry to say that this part of the observations of the hon. gentleman escaped my attention. I thought that what was in his mind was the delay in the return of Mr. Thompson, the member elect for the Yukon. If there is any other correspondence I shall bring it down.

Subtopic:   R. W. SCOTT.

Mr. I@

I alluded to that as a result of the action of the deputy returning officer in delaying the returns so unreasonably and I pointed out at the same time to the Minister of Justice that it would be perfectly competent for any returning officer to fix a date one or two years from the date of the election and thus disfranchise a constituency for that time.

Subtopic:   R. W. SCOTT.

Wilfrid Laurier (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Sir WILFRID LAURIER.

I think that the writ has to be returned within a certain time and the official count cannot be delayed beyond the date of the wr*it.

Subtopic:   R. W. SCOTT.
CON

Robert Laird Borden (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. R. L. BORDEN.

I was not able to find any date nor could the Minister of Justice. It simply says that he shall fix a date, whenever he sees fit. We have never had any trouble before and we may not have any trouble again, but this delay would indicate a possible necessity for an amendment of the law. The Minister of Justice on February 2, if I remember correctly from a perusal of ' Hansard ' stated that a telegram had been sent to the returning officer asking him the reason for the delay-until February 0, which I think was the day for opening the ballot boxes and summing up the figures. As to that we have no information; if there is any information I would be glad if the Prime Minister would give it to us to-morrow.

Subtopic:   R. W. SCOTT.

THE ANSWERING OF QUESTIONS BY MINISTERS.

February 15, 1905