February 8, 1905

Henry Robert Emmerson (Minister of Railways and Canals)

Hon. H. R. EMMERSON (Minister of Railways and Canals).

Mr. Speaker, the hon. leader of the opposition (Mr. R. L. Borden) has read a telegram in reference to the stalling of trains at Springhill. I may say that about one o'clock I received a telegram from a gentleman signing himself R. A. Mcntyre, stating in effect what is contained in the telegram sent to my hon. friend. He states here that several trains were stalled and he wishes provision made for feeding the passengers. I communicated at once with Mr. Pottinger, who is in the city, and in reply to the message he says: [DOT]

I have telegraphed down for an explanation. It was probably due to a severe storm that wc had on both Prince Edward Island and the mainland, as you will see by two telegrams inclosed. Will let you have further particulars as soon as I can get them.

One of the telegrams to Mr. Pottinger is as follows :

Snow storm with high wind set in at Halifax iast night. No. 70 stuck at Rockingham ; D. A R. special hauled out, arrived Richmond five twenty. Special with cattle and meats for mail steamer stuck at Rockingham, reached Halifax seven forty. Steamer waited. Halifax yard badly blocked. Nothing could be done after two o'clock. Took three engines to take cattle tr Deepwater.

The superintendent of the Prince Edward Island Railway telegraphed Mr. Pottinger to this effect that:

The storm of last night is still raging ; is extremely severe. All trains tied up till storm abates. We anticipate much trouble to clear the track.

The difficulty seems to have come upon them suddenly. Mr. Pottinger has wired to Springhill Junction in respect to looking after the passengers. My attention only having been called to it at one o'clock I could do nothing in the matter, but I have taken these steps since that time.

Topic:   INTERCOLONIAL RAILWAY-TRAIN SERVICE, N.S.

MONTREAL HARBOUR COMMISSION.

CON

Robert Laird Borden (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. R. L. BORDEN (Carleton, Ont.).

I would like to direct the attention of the Prime Minister (Sir Wilfrid Laurler) to question number 5 on the order paper :

1. Have any claims for extras been made by Messrs. P. Lyall & Sons in connection with their contract for the construction of two-story sheds in the port of Montreal ?

2. If so, what was the amount and the grounds alleged in each case 1

3. Were the said claims admitted and approved by the Harbour Commissioners and by the Chief Engineer ?

4. Were the said claims recommended for payment by the government superintendent engineer for the Montreal Harbour sheds ?

5. Were the said claims in dispute submitted to the Minister of Marine and Fisheries ? If so, what amount did he award to the contractor in each case ?

The right hon. gentleman asked my hon. friend who moved it (Mr. Ames) to make a motion for a return. If the Prime Minister will examine the question, he will see that nearly every one of the inquiries can be answered by yes or no, except the one involving the grounds alleged in each case.

Topic:   MONTREAL HARBOUR COMMISSION.

Right Hon. S@

The hon. gentleman will see that everything depends upon the inquiry number 2 concerning the amount and the grounds alleged. Therefore the report of the engineer and the correspondence will be necessary. There are different grounds, and there is a report upon each.

Topic:   MONTREAL HARBOUR COMMISSION.

MOTIONS AGREED TO WITHOUT DISCUSSION.

Copies of all forms and instructions issued to the returning officers in the several provinces and territories for use in the recent gen-eneral election for the House of Commons.-Mr. Barker. Copy of the voters' lists for the constituency of Macdonald, supplied to the Clerk of the Crown in Chancery prior to the general elections of 1904. Also for copies of the voters' lists supplied by the Clerk of the Crown in Chancery to the returning officer for Macdonald constituency for the same elections. And for copies of voters' lists Supplied to the various deputy returning officers by the returning officer in the constituency of Macdonald.- Mr. Staples,

RESIGNATION OF MR. BLAIR.

CON

George Eulas Foster

Mr. FOSTER.

The right hon. Prime Minister or the hon. Minister of Justice promised, the other day, to lay on the table the telegram and letter of resignation of Mr. Blair, as chairman of the commission.

Topic:   RESIGNATION OF MR. BLAIR.

Wilfrid Laurier (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Sir WILFRID LAURIER.

The resignation of Mr. Blair ?

Topic:   RESIGNATION OF MR. BLAIR.
CON

George Eulas Foster

Mr. FOSTER.

The, telegram and letter of resignation of the chairman of the commission.

Sir WILFRID LAURIER, The hon. member for Jacques Cartier (Mr. Monk) has moved for an order for it and the whole correspondence will he brought down. I expect to have it to-morrow.

Topic:   RESIGNATION OF MR. BLAIR.

COMMUNICATION BETWEEN PRINCE

EDWARD ISLAND AND MAINLAND.

Mr. ALEX@

MARTIN (Queen's, P. E. I.) Mr. Speaker, before the Orders of the Day are called I wish to call the right hon. Prime Minister's attention to a question

which I referred to the other day ; that is in regard to the present communication between Prince Edward Island and the mainland. The steamers have stopped. The communication is now had between the Capes and by sailing boats. When the boats reached Cape Tormentine there is not such a thing as a special train to carry the mails and passengers to Sackviile. This has been a grievance in the province for years. The boats are necessarily irregular at the Capes because the crossing at the Capes depends on the state of the wind and of the ice. When' they reach Cape Tormentine the regular train generally has left, and the passengers and mails have to he detained there for twenty-four hours in some cases, merely because the government has not thought proper to put a special train on between Cape Tormentine and Sackviile. The expenditure in that direction would not be very large. It is only during a short period that it would he necessary, hut the inconvenience and loss sustained by the people of Prince Edward Island every year is a very serious matter. While I tell the right hon. Prime Minister and the hon. Postmaster General that in the reading room we find the last papers there a week behind time they will understand lion' inconvenient the situation is. I have a telegram to-day to ask to bring this question to the attention of the Postmaster General every day until we get a remedy. I hope this duty will not be imposed on me for any length of time.

Topic:   COMMUNICATION BETWEEN PRINCE
Subtopic:   EDWARD ISLAND AND MAINLAND.

INTERCOLONIAL RAILWAY-STATION AGENT AT FREDERICTON.

CON

Oswald Smith Crocket

Mr. O. S. CROCKET (York, N.B.).

Mr. Speaker, before the Orders of the Day are taken up I would like to ask the hon. Minister of Railways and Canals (Mr. Emmer-son) when we might expect the correspondence to be brought down in regard to the dismissal of Odbur White from the position of station master on the Intercolonial Railway at Fredericton. I moved for this correspondence on Thursday, January 26. At that time I understood the hon. minister to state that there was only one letter received from Mr. White and the minister's reply, and I w'ould like to know from the hon. minister when we might expect these papers.

Topic:   INTERCOLONIAL RAILWAY-STATION AGENT AT FREDERICTON.

Henry Robert Emmerson (Minister of Railways and Canals)

Hon. H. R. EMMERSON.

I trust that the impatience of my hon. friend (Mr. Crocket) will be satisfied very soon. For some reason or other the papers only came under my notice yesterday, and this morning I gave instructions to have them copied at once so that we may expect an immediate return. I am also searching to see whether there are any other letters or any references to the matter in any letters which have from time to time been received from the officers of the Intercolonial Railway in connection with railway matters generally.

<399

Topic:   INTERCOLONIAL RAILWAY-STATION AGENT AT FREDERICTON.

RUMOURED APPOINTMENT OP HON.

S. N. PARENT TO TRANSCONTINENTAL RAILWAY COMMISSION.

Mr. J.@

6. H. BERGERON (Beauharnois). Mr. Speaker, before the Orders of the Day are called I would like to ask a question of my right hou. friend the Prime Minister (Sir Wilfrid Laurier). I would not like to increase liis troubles particularly since that painful amputation in Ontario of his right arm, but another one of his limbs is very much attacked just now in the province of Quebec, and there are many rumours floating around, one of them to the effect that one of the ministers of the Crown lias gone to Quebec to try and patch up the trouble. In support of that rumour this statement has appeared in some of the papers and it has been said since then on high authority that:

'The Hon. S. N. Parent, Premier of Quebec, will shortly accept a seat on the National Transcontinental Railway Construction Commission. At present he represents the government on the Grand Trunk Pacific directorate.

There was an idea prevailing in the city of Montreal this morning from the reports I have received, that a solemn promise was made by the present government, if not personally by the right lion. Prime Minister himself, that if Mr. Parent tries to fix up his government for the session he will be appointed to the construction commission when the session is over, and that the premier will then be succeeded by Mr. Gouin. I do not know if my question can be answered now, but if it could it would do a great deal to alleviate the trouble that seems to exist in the minds of certain people around the city of Montreal.

Topic:   RUMOURED APPOINTMENT OP HON.

Hon. H.@

It would be uncharitable of me were I not to alleviate the heroic statements that oppress my hon. friend at this moment. His arm seems to be sound and all right.

Topic:   RUMOURED APPOINTMENT OP HON.

February 8, 1905