May 27, 1904

Richard John Cartwright (Minister of Trade and Commerce)

Sir RICHARD CARTWRIGHT.

The object is to reduce the penalties capable of being inflicted for violation of the law with respect to binder twine which now may run up to hundreds of thousands of dollars in a single case. There is also a provision to allow the inspector to enter premises where binder twine is being sold, for the purpose of making an examination.

Topic:   GENERAL INSPECTION ACT AMENDMENT.

Motion agreed to, and Bill read the first time.

INSPECTION AND SALE OF SEEDS.

Sir WILFRID LAURIER (Prime Minister*. I informed my hon. friend (Mr. R. L. Borden) that we would take up to-day the estimates of the Minister of Agriculture (Mr. Fisher). But, if there is no objection, I would like to deal first with the resolution of which notice has been given, and which it is necessary to pass as a preliminary to the introduction of the Bill regarding the inspection of seeds. Of course, if my hon. friend (Mr. R. L. Borden) objects I will not press it.

CON

Robert Laird Borden (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. R. L. BORDEN.

I understand that this is merely for the purpose of introducing the Bill. I think there would be no objection to introducing it now because, even if discussion is necessary it can take place upon the Bill itself.

Topic:   INSPECTION AND SALE OF SEEDS.

Wilfrid Laurier (Prime Minister; President of the Privy Council)

Sir WILFRID LAURIER.

Quite so.

Hon. SYDNEY FISHER (Minister of Agriculture) moved that the House go into Committee of the Whole to consider the following proposed resolution

Resolved, that it is expedient to pass an Act restricting the sale of seeds of cereals, grasses, clovers, or forage plants, sold for the purpose of seeding, containing the seeds of certain weeds ; establishing a standard of timothy, red clover, and alsike seeds marked No. 1, or otherwise designated as being of first quality ; providing for the examination of such seeds, and providing penalties for contravention of the Act.

Topic:   INSPECTION AND SALE OF SEEDS.
CON

Adam Carr Bell

Mr. A. C. BELL (Pictou).

I understand that it is not the purpose of the minister to discuss the matter at this time.

Topic:   INSPECTION AND SALE OF SEEDS.

Sydney Arthur Fisher (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. FISHER.

No, I merely wished to have the resolution passed upon which to base the Bill.

Topic:   INSPECTION AND SALE OF SEEDS.
CON

James Clancy

Mr. JAMES CLANCY (Bothwell).

Do 1 understand the hon. gentleman to say that he does not wish discussion to take place on the Bill ?

Sir RICHARD CARTWRIGHT (Minister Mr. FISHER. What I suggested was that of Trade and Commerce) moved for leave the resolution might be passed without dis-Sir WILFRID LAURIER.

cussion. On the ordinary stages of the Bill a full discussion can take place. Of course, it is quite within the power of the House to discuss the resolution if it desires to do so.

Topic:   INSPECTION AND SALE OF SEEDS.
CON

James Gilmour

Mr. JAMES GILMOUR (East Middlesex).

I would ask if the Bill the minister proposes to introduce differs from the Bill introduced last session, and if so, in what respect ?

Topic:   INSPECTION AND SALE OF SEEDS.

Sydney Arthur Fisher (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. FISHER.

I may say in reply to the question that the Bill which was before the House last session was printed in large numbers and distributed throughout the country to those who are engaged in the seed grain, to farmers and to the various agricultural organizations. As a result of that distribution and the discussion which arose and of various interviews which I had with seedsmen I propose to introduce some modifications to the Bill. I may say that the chief of these is the result' of a recommendation made by the seedsmen. The hon. member for Hamilton (Mr. Barker) brought a deputation of seed merchants to interview me on the subject of this Bill. After a short discussion of the whole subject a proposition was made that we should not undertake to define different grades of seeds, but that a minimum grade should be defined, and that change is made in this Bill. While I adopted the suggestion of the seedsmen in this regard I thought it was best that in addition to the minimum grade we should also define a maximum grade, so that if a person wished to sell seed as of No. 1 quality, he coukl not do so unless these seeds were up to a certain standard. There are some slight differences in the wording of the new Act and some parts of the original Bill are omitted, but this is the chief difference from the Act of last session. Of course I will have the Bill printed before I take up the discussion.

Topic:   INSPECTION AND SALE OF SEEDS.
CON

James Clancy

Mr. CLANCY.

I think.that some further modification would naturally be looked for in the hon. gentleman's Bill. The recommendation of the seedsmen is a very important one and is very likely one that should be accepted. But the hon. Minister of Agriculture will remember that his Bill was a very drastic one as affecting those who sold seed to the seedsmen. It also interfered with the business relations of a domestic character that arise between farmers themselves. I hope that when the hon. gentleman's Bill comes down it will be entirely shorn of those objectionable features that appeared in the Bill of last year. Of course I shall wait for the discussion until we see the Bill.

Topic:   INSPECTION AND SALE OF SEEDS.
CON

Adam Carr Bell

Mr. BELL.

Would the hon. minister explain what he means by saying that in addition to a minimum quality or grade he has thought it advisable to adopt a maximum ? As I understood the representation of the seed trade they desired that there should be but one class of marketable seed,

all below that being unsaleable. I would understand from what the minister now says that he has not only adopted that view but has thought it well to establish a higher grade, a maximum.

Topic:   INSPECTION AND SALE OF SEEDS.

Sydney Arthur Fisher (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. FISHER.

The minimum grade Is a quality of seed below which no seed shall be sold at all ; then in addition to that it is proposed that nobody shall be allowed to sell seed marking it as of the first or highest quality unless it comes up to a certain standard. That is all there is in it.

CON

Sydney Arthur Fisher (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. IISHER.

It would be one below which no seed could be sold and then there would be also a simple statement in the Bill that nobody shall be allowed to sell seed, marking it of the first qualitv unless it comes up to a certain standard. In reply to the hon. member for Both well (Mr. Clancy) I might say that the seedsmen did make representations to me for changes in the Act of last session but the other people to whose attention this Bill was drawn have practically unanimously endorsed the provisions of the Act. I have had dozens and dozens of resolutions sent forward from various agricultural meetings and organizations all over the country endorsing the provisions of the Act as submitted last year and asking that that Act should be made law.

Topic:   INSPECTION AND SALE OF SEEDS.
CON

Adam Carr Bell

Mr. BELL.

Might I ask if it is the intention of the minister to put the Bill through this session ? [DOT]

Topic:   INSPECTION AND SALE OF SEEDS.
CON

Adam Carr Bell

Mr. BELL.

And is it the intention that some time in the future shall be fixed when it shall come into operation or will it come into operation immediately ?

Topic:   INSPECTION AND SALE OF SEEDS.

Sydney Arthur Fisher (Minister of Agriculture)

Mr. FISHER.

It will not come into operation until July 1st, 1905, under the provisions of the Act as I propose to introduce it.

Motion agreed to and House went into committee on the resolution.

May 27, 1904