March 24, 1904

Charles Fitzpatrick (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. FITZPATRICK.

Can you refer me to any reported case in Ontario where such a point was decided.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   CRIMINAL CODE AMENDMENT.
CON

Edward Arthur Lancaster

Mr. LANCASTER.

I have several of them in my mind. It often happens with persons over twenty-one years, but I think a man over twenty-one ought to know enough to send for his lawyer before lie elects. Not long ago an express package was lost and a young man about twenty-five was charged with stealing it. He telephoned for me. but before 1 got there tlie magistrate had asked him to elect, and said lie did so. I had to threaten the magistrate with all sorts of things, and the Crown Attorney had to assist me before the magistrate would give that young man another chance to elect. I thought that the age of twenty-one was reasonable, but if the Minister of Justice wishes 1 will compromise at eighteen years.

Mr. FITZPATRICK, if the hon. gentleman will withdraw tlie Bill, I shall endeavour to draw an amendment myself.

, Mr. LANCASTER. I suppose we can adjourn the debate.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   CRIMINAL CODE AMENDMENT.

Charles Fitzpatrick (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. FITZPATRICK.

Very well.

On motion of Mr. Lancaster, the debate was adjourned.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   CRIMINAL CODE AMENDMENT.

CERTIFICATES TO MASTERS AND MATES.

On the order being called for : Second reading of Bill (No. 4) to amend the Act respecting certificates to Masters and Mates of ships.-Mr. Lancaster.

Romuald-Charlemagne Laurier

Sir WILFRID LAURIER.

I understand that this Bill stands.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   CERTIFICATES TO MASTERS AND MATES.
CON

Edward Arthur Lancaster

Mr. LANCASTER.

The Minister of Marine has asked me to allow this to stand, because he says he is going to introduce legislation which will cover all that is in this Bill. I am quite willing to allow it to stand on that understanding. I have not agreed to withdraw it, but if I have the understanding that the Minister of Marine will introduce and pass a Bill that will cover all that is in this Bill, I shall do so. The Minister of Marine assured me in the corridor, that he only wanted to have this stand until he brings in his Bill, and of course I would expect him to bring it in within reasonable time. The masters and mates who are interested, sent a deputation who went into the matter carefully with me, and they are anxious to have this Bill passed as it is. It is because the Minister of Marine has a majority of the House behind him, that I am willing to let this Bill stand until he brings in his own Bill covering these points.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   CERTIFICATES TO MASTERS AND MATES.

Charles Fitzpatrick (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. FITZPATRICK.

It is absolutely impossible for the government to introduce a Bill that would cover all the points mentioned in this Bill. My hon. friend (Mr. Lancaster) has overlooked the fact that we cannot make British subjects in this country.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   CERTIFICATES TO MASTERS AND MATES.
CON

Edward Arthur Lancaster

Mr. LANCASTER.

I am not asking that the government should make British subjects.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   CERTIFICATES TO MASTERS AND MATES.

Charles Fitzpatrick (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. FITZPATRICK.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   CERTIFICATES TO MASTERS AND MATES.
CON

Edward Arthur Lancaster

Mr. LANCASTER.

I beg your pardon. I am asking in this Bill, that a man who is not a British subject should not get a license to run a boat as master or mate in our waters when a man who is not an American citizen, cannot run a boat owned by American people in the same waters.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   CERTIFICATES TO MASTERS AND MATES.

Lawrence Geoffrey Power (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER.

The discussion is out of order.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   CERTIFICATES TO MASTERS AND MATES.
CON

Edward Arthur Lancaster

Mr. LANCASTER.

I am answering what the Minister of Justice said.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   CERTIFICATES TO MASTERS AND MATES.

Romuald-Charlemagne Laurier

Sir WILFRID LAURIER.

The- Bill stands and will be called again.

Order allowed to stand.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   CERTIFICATES TO MASTERS AND MATES.

Charles Fitzpatrick (Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada)

Mr. FITZPATRICK.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   CERTIFICATES TO MASTERS AND MATES.

RETURN ORDERED WITHOUT DISCUSSION.

Copies of all contracts entered into between the government of Canada and any corporation, company or person, during the past five years, for the carriage of mails between any port or ports on the St. Lawrence and the United KinS' dom ; and copies of all such contracts for the carriage of mails, during the period aforesaid, between any port or ports in Nova Scotia New Brunswick and the United Kingdom.-M1'-R. L. Bolden.

SUPPLY.

House in Committee of Supply.

March 24, 1904