Mr. GRANT-by Mr. Talbot-asked :
1. Is the government aware that the steamer 'Eureka,' belonging to the Department of Public Works, has been put at the disposal, or rented to some inventor, for the purpose of making an experiment of some invention, purporting to prevent collisions between steamers at sea ?
2. If so, to whom was said loan made, and upon the instructions of whom was it done ?
3. What has been the amount of expenditure made by the department, or occasioned by said experiment?
4. Is there any claim pending in the department in reference to work performed on said boat, at the request of the persons having the loan of the boat, for dockage, &c. ?
5. For how many months, weeks or days was said steamer 'Eureka' kept at the expense of the government, not rendering the service assigned to her, whilst uncjer the control of said inventor?
6. What amount was so expended by the department in keeping the boat at the disposal of the inventor?