August 3, 1903

Peter Macdonald (Deputy Speaker and Chair of Committees of the Whole of the House of Commons)

Mr. DEPUTY SPEAKER.

But we are in committee.

IND

William Findlay Maclean

Independent Conservative

Mr. MACLEAN.

Well, I can Rang on a discussion on this clause. I hold that at any stage of the Bill it is quite in order to discuss the general proposition.

Mr. DEPUTY SPEAKER.

It is not in order, but if the committee is willing 1 will bow to the committee.

Some hon. MEMBERS

Dropped.

IND

William Findlay Maclean

Independent Conservative

Mr. MACLEAN.

No time will be lost because the discussion has to come up and it suits by book to discuss it now.

Some hon. MEMBERS

Order.

Topic:   GRAND TRUNK PACIFIC RAILWAY COMPANY.

The MINISTER OP PUBLIC WORKS.

I appeal to the committee that there ought be some decorum and some effort to proceed in accordance to the rules of the House. There have been a number of opportunities for discussing the Bill and there will be plenty of other opportunities. If a transgression of the rules like this is to be allowed in one Bill why not in all Bills. Surely my hon. friend (Mr. Maclean) will see the necessity of proceeding in accordance of the rules of the House.

Mr. DEPUTY SPEAKER.

A discussion on the principle of any Bill cannot take place upon the discussion of any one of its clauses. My ruling is that the discussion on the principle of the Bill is now out of order".

IND

William Findlay Maclean

Independent Conservative

Mr. MACLEAN.

To put myself in order, I shall have to move that the committee rise and report progress.

The PRIME MINISTER.

That would not help you.

Mr. DEPUTY SPEAKER.

The hon. member will have to coniine himself to show why the committee should rise.

IND

William Findlay Maclean

Independent Conservative

Mr. MACLEAN.

With all due respect to the Chair, I can go into the whole question on that motion.

Topic:   GRAND TRUNK PACIFIC RAILWAY COMPANY.

The MINISTER OF PUBLIC WORKS.

You will have plenty of other opportunities.

IND

Mr. DEPUTY SPEAKER.

It matters not to me, but the rule is that if the hon. gentleman moves that the committee rise and report progress, he will have to speak to that motion. The hon. member knows that just as well as I do.

IND

William Findlay Maclean

Independent Conservative

Mr. MACLEAN.

I will appeal to the leader of the House to say if there is anything wrong in allowing a discussion on the general principle of the Bill now. I have

Mr. DEPUTY SPEAKER.

not a great deal to say, yet I wish to say it, and I would like to say it to-day.

Some lion. MEMBERS. Order.

The PRIME MINISTER.

As my hon. friend (Mr. Maclean) has appealed to me, I must say that I deeply sympathize with him. I understand he has a speech on his stomach which he wants to be delivered of to-day, but unfortunately the rules of the House do not permit of it. I would advise him to wait until the proper opportunity arises which is not very far off. The best way after all is to abide by the rules of the House.

IND

William Findlay Maclean

Independent Conservative

Mr. MACLEAN.

I am well able to take care of myself, but while I do not appeal from the ruling of the Chairman, I believe that I am quite in order in discussing the Bill now. As the Prime Minister has recommended a certain form or emetic, I would suggest to him that he tender it to some of his own supporters instead of to members on this side.

On section 11,

Mr. McCARTI-IY. The leader of the opposition suggested that the word ' common ' should be inserted after the words 'amount of such' so as to make it read 'amount of such common stock.' I have consulted the parties interested, and I am prepared to accept the suggested amendment. This amendment would make the clause apply to common stock and not to preferred stock.

August 3, 1903