July 13, 1903

CON

Samuel Barker

Mr. BARKER.

In Ontario the appeals from magistrates are always to the county court judges.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   IN RED CLOVER, 1902.

Dominique Monet

Mr. MONET.

In the province of Quebec we have both a superior and a circuit court, so if you do not mention the court to which appeal is to be taken, we shall not know where to go. I think we should determine that in Quebec the appeal should be brought before the circuit court, because if brought before a superior court, the amount of costs

might be very large and the sum involved very small.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   IN RED CLOVER, 1902.

The MINISTER OF AGRICULTURE.

If the committee would allow, I would ask that that clause be allowed to stand for the opinion of the Minister of Justice.

Progress reported.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   IN RED CLOVER, 1902.

ADJOURNMENT-RESIGNATION OF HON. MR. BLAIR-BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE.

The MINISTER OF FINANCE (Hon. W. S. Fielding) moved the adjournment of the House.

CON

Robert Laird Borden (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BORDEN (Halifax).

Before the House adjourns I would like to know what business we may expect for tomorrow. I would also like to know from the Minister of Finance whether he has any information to give to the House with respect to an intimation which is very current that the Minister of Railways (Hon. A. G. Blair) has tendered his resignation. It is openly stated, as my hon. friend is no doubt aware, throughout the corridors of the House, that such an event has taken place. If it is true that he has tendered his resignation, perhaps the hon. gentleman will be good enough to give the House any information he has.

Topic:   ADJOURNMENT-RESIGNATION OF HON. MR. BLAIR-BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE.

The MINISTER OF FINANCE.

As to the latter part of my hon. friend's question, I have not had the pleasure of seeing either the Prime Minister or the Minister of Railways this evening, and I am afraid I am not in a position to give him any information as to the question he has asked. As to the business to be taken up to-morrow, we may be able to take one Or two Bills on the Order Paper at an early stage, and then we will ask the House to go into Committee of Supply, resuming consideration of the estimates of the Department of the Interior.

Topic:   ADJOURNMENT-RESIGNATION OF HON. MR. BLAIR-BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE.
CON

Robert Laird Borden (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BORDEN (Halifax).

I understand there are certain resolutions upon the Order Paper with regard to the bounties on iron and steel and the bounties on lead.

Topic:   ADJOURNMENT-RESIGNATION OF HON. MR. BLAIR-BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE.

The MINISTER OF FINANCE.

Neither of them will be taken up to-morrow.

Topic:   ADJOURNMENT-RESIGNATION OF HON. MR. BLAIR-BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE.
CON

Robert Laird Borden (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BORDEN (Halifax).

Perhaps before to-morrow evening my hon. friend may be able to get into communication with the Prime Minister or the Minister of Railways I do not think there will be any great difficulty on the subject. I appreciate the fact that perhaps he has not been very anxious to meet them this evening, and under the circumstances I accept his explanation as the best he could offer.

Topic:   ADJOURNMENT-RESIGNATION OF HON. MR. BLAIR-BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE.
CON

Uriah Wilson

Mr. WILSON.

Before the House adjourns. I wish to give notice that on motion to go into supply to-morrow I will bring up the question of immigration, which I intend to discuss.

Topic:   ADJOURNMENT-RESIGNATION OF HON. MR. BLAIR-BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE.

The MINISTER OF FINANCE.

Do I understand my hon. friend to give notice of a motion, or merely of a discussion ?

Topic:   ADJOURNMENT-RESIGNATION OF HON. MR. BLAIR-BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE.
CON

Uriah Wilson

Mr. WILSON.

A discussion, which maybe followed by a motion.

Topic:   ADJOURNMENT-RESIGNATION OF HON. MR. BLAIR-BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE.

Motion agreed to, and House adjourned at 12.50 a.m., Tuesday.

Tuesday, July 14, 1903.