March 16, 1903

Lawrence Geoffrey Power (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER.

I am afraid that the discussion upon which the hon. gentleman (Mr. Bennett) has entered is not quite in order. The question now before the House is the conviction of Mr. Brunet and his pardon. 1 would call the hon. gentleman's attention to that and would remind him that he is not allowed to discuss any other question on the present motion. It is not the Department of Justice we are discussing, but the pardon of this man.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   CASE OF ARTHUR BRUNET-DOMINION ELECTIONS ACT, 1900.
CON

William Humphrey Bennett

Mr. BENNETT.

With all due deference, I would submit for your consideration, Mr. Speaker, one point which, I hope, may alter your view. The hon. Minister of Justice has made the statement-and it is a very striking statement-that he had not seen or approved the report in quest'01. 1 do not give his exact words, but-

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   CASE OF ARTHUR BRUNET-DOMINION ELECTIONS ACT, 1900.

Lawrence Geoffrey Power (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER.

The hon. Minister of Justice took the responsibility of the action of the government, and I do not think that any necessity arises for discussing on this motion the affairs of the Department of Justice itself. That may come up on some other motion, but not on the one now before the Chair.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   CASE OF ARTHUR BRUNET-DOMINION ELECTIONS ACT, 1900.
CON

William Humphrey Bennett

Mr. BENNETT.

As I understand the statement made by the Minister of Justice, he said that, while, in the first instance, he did not concur in the report of Council, he is now willing to shoulder all the responsibility in connection-

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   CASE OF ARTHUR BRUNET-DOMINION ELECTIONS ACT, 1900.

The MINISTER OP JUSTICE.

Perhaps I may be allowed to repeat the statement I made. I may explain, as, perhaps, the hou. member (Mr. Bennett) isi not familiar with the procedure, that the exercise of clemency by the Governor General is on the report of the Minister of Justice-it never1 goes to Council, but goes from the Minister of Justice to the Governor General. In this instance, the recommendation was made! in my absence by another minister-I simply made that statement before the House to explain the facts, but I said that I accepted full responsibility.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   CASE OF ARTHUR BRUNET-DOMINION ELECTIONS ACT, 1900.
CON

Robert Laird Borden (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BORDEN (Halifax).

The report was made by another minister acting as Minister of Justice ?

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   CASE OF ARTHUR BRUNET-DOMINION ELECTIONS ACT, 1900.

The MINISTER OF JUSTICE.

Yes, and for that report I am responsible.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   CASE OF ARTHUR BRUNET-DOMINION ELECTIONS ACT, 1900.
CON

William Humphrey Bennett

Mr. BENNETT.

Of course, Mr. Speaker, if you rule that lam out of order I shall be obliged to reserve what I have to say for another occasion.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   CASE OF ARTHUR BRUNET-DOMINION ELECTIONS ACT, 1900.

Lawrence Geoffrey Power (Speaker of the Senate)

Mr. SPEAKER.

It may come up upon some other question.

Motion (Mr. Casgrain) agreed to.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   CASE OF ARTHUR BRUNET-DOMINION ELECTIONS ACT, 1900.

EXTRADITION OF GAYNOR AND GREENE.

Mr. CASGRAIN moved for : Copies of all papers, documents, letters, correspondence, &e., in relation to the proceedings for the extradition of one John Francis Gaynor, and one Benjamin D. Greene. , He said : Mr. Speaker, I shall reserve any remarks I have to make on this subject until the papers are produced. Motion agreed to.

MOTIONS AGREED TO WITHOUT DISCUSSION.

Copies of all contracts, agreements, deeds, correspondence, documents and papers In connection with the establishment in the city of Quebec of a factory for the manufacture of rifles, by Sir Charles Ross, or by Sir Charles Ross and others.-Mr. Casgrain. Copies of all correspondence relating to the abrogation of the Clayton-Bulwer treaty.- Mr. Bourassa, by Mr. Monet. Copies of all correspondence exchanged since last session between the Canadian government and the British authorities on the subject of the embargo on Canadian cattle.-Mr. Bourassa by Mr. Monet. Copies of all correspondence exchanged between the Canadian government and the British government on the subject of the organization of a naval school, of training-vessels, and of a naval reserve in Canada. Mr. Bourassa by Mr. Monet. Copy of the full and each partial report of half-breed commissions for each of their sittings since the first of January, 1900. Also, a list of all applications made for scrip, names and residence of applicants whose applications have been received ; and class of scrip issued in each case. Also, a list of all applications made for scrip, names and residence of applicants whose applications were not accepted ; and the reason or reasons for refusing the same. Mr. LaRividre.

ADJOURNMENT-MINISTERIAL CHANGES.

The PRIME MINISTER (Rt. Hon. Sir Wilfrid Laurier).

I beg to move that the House do nowi adjourn. It was stated the other day on my behalf by my hon friend the Minister of Finance (Hon. Mr. Fielding) that it was the intention of the government to give the explanations with regard to recent changes of the cabinet to-morrow. But I understand that my hon. friend the leader of the opposition (Mr. Borden, Halifax) will be absent to-morrow. If convenient to him, and also to my hon. friend the member for St. Mary's Division, Montreal (Hon. Mr. Tarte), I shall give the explanation on Wednesday.

Subtopic:   ADJOURNMENT-MINISTERIAL CHANGES.
CON

Robert Laird Borden (Leader of the Official Opposition)

Mr. BORDEN (Halifax).

That will be quite convenient, so far as I am concerned.

Subtopic:   ADJOURNMENT-MINISTERIAL CHANGES.

Joseph Israël Tarte

Hon. Mr. TARTE.

And also so far as I am concerned.

Subtopic:   ADJOURNMENT-MINISTERIAL CHANGES.

LIEUTENANT GOVERNORSHIP OF ONTARIO.

IND

William Findlay Maclean

Independent Conservative

Mr. W. F. MACLEAN (East York).

Before the motion to adjourn is adopted, I would call the attention of the right hon. the First Minister (Sir Wilfrid Laurier) to the present condition with regard to the Lieutenant Governorship of my own province, Ontario. To-day, a great political crisis exists there, and his Honour the Lieutenant Governor is ill and unable to discharge the functions of his office. It is essential that we should have a Lieutenant Governor in the full vigour of his powers at this moment. The discussion as it comes up before the House there-

'Mr. SPEAKER. I call the hon. gentleman's attention to the fact that on the motion to adjourn which has now been made by the Prime Minister, discussion can only take place on the question whether we should now adjourn or not. The question which; the hon. gentleman wants to discuss

now, I think is not in order. Such a question could be brought up by special motion for an adjournment, made for that special purpose, but it cannot be brought up on the present motion to adjourn.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   LIEUTENANT GOVERNORSHIP OF ONTARIO.
IND

William Findlay Maclean

Independent Conservative

Mr. MACLEAN.

I think I will be within the courtesy of the House when I point out that there was no order on the Orders of the Day which would enable me to bring up this question. It is a matter of emergency, the Lieutenant Governor is unable to discharge the functions of his office, and the discussion now on in the Ontario Legislature turns on an issue that he may have to decide. I think in view of the fact that his term of office has expired, and that he is unable to discharge the duties of his office, the government should appoint another gentleman to fill the position.

Topic:   QUESTIONS.
Subtopic:   LIEUTENANT GOVERNORSHIP OF ONTARIO.

March 16, 1903